Property Q&A in 94552>Question Details

Greg, Home Buyer in Castro Valley, CA

Purchased a house advertised as having public sewer, found out it has septic instead. What to do.?

Asked by Greg, Castro Valley, CA Wed Feb 16, 2011

I recently purchase a house advertised in the MLS as having public sewer and septic. I asked the agent why it was listed like that and he said because he didn't know which one it had. He said he would find out whether it was on public sewer or septic. Later he told me he called the sewer district and they said it was on public sewer. On the disclosure form he filled out he checked the "Public sewer" box. He told me it had public sewer and I now find out I have a septic tank and no public sewer, just a hookup at the street. What should I do? Is the agent or the seller liable for the cost of hooking up to public sewer? This is a foreclosure sold "as is." Agent was hired by the bank to investigate, advertise and sell the property. The bank knew nothing about the property. What can I do?