Property Q&A in 95148>Question Details

Ludu35, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

Property tax in Santa Clara county

Asked by Ludu35, San Jose, CA Fri Apr 20, 2012

Where can I find the formulation to calculate property tax in San Jose, CA. I think that I am paying too much for my house. Please advise. Thanks
LD

Answers

6
Here is a good link for contesting your property taxes if you think they should be reassessed for today's value:
http://www.sccgov.org/sites/asr/Quick%20Hits%20%28Look%20up%…
Appeal applications must be filed between July 2, and September 15
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 20, 2012
Property taxes in the State of California are based on Proposition 13. The easiest way to calculate is to figure the sales price times 1.25% for the annual tax. This proposition limits the amount your property taxes can increase to 2% per year The biggest benefit is that it requires a 2/3 vote of the public to increase any taxes in CA. Before this proposition, the state/ county/city could arbitrarily increase property taxes which gave homeowners quite a jolt when they got their tax bills. It is still possible to have your taxes increase more than 2% but it is normally only if a parcel tax is put on the ballot and even then it takes a 2/3 majority to pass and there is a lot of advertising so the tax increase is expected.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 20, 2012
Ludu35:

The process of assessed value increases and reductions are covered in the blog post below. In addition, when you purchase a home you inherit the prior owner's tax base for a period of time until the County reassessment, which is also covered.

"Estimating Property Taxes in CA"
http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 20, 2012
If you recently purchased your home and the value would be reassessed at your purchase price. If that has not happened sometimes it may take a while for the tax board to get up to date. John and Charles gave you the process for looking that up and appealing.

Have an Amazing Day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 20, 2012
Use the link below to go to the Santa Clara County tax collector's online tax payment site. You can enter your address or parcel number and see a list of the taxes and assessments included in your property tax bill. There is no single tax - most tax bills include about 9 to 10 taxes, many of which are payment on school and public facilities improvement bonds.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 20, 2012
Thank you for your question:

I recommend that you determine whether or not the assessed valuation for your house is too high.

If the assessed value of your house is more than the curent fair market value, I recommend that you file an appeal with the County Assessor's Office.

The County Assessor's Ofice is located at 70 West Hedding Avenue, San Jose, California.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872