Property Q&A in Atlanta>Question Details

Bob, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Property Tax Appeal (Fulton County, Georgia) Question

Asked by Bob, Atlanta, GA Mon Feb 8, 2010

I disputed my property tax assessment value on time back in early Spring and still have not heard anything back from Fulton County. I did, however, receive a letter from Fulton Co. acknowledging receipt of my property tax appeal. When should I expect to hear something? Anyone else playing the “waiting game?”

Answers

6
Folks, good news, the BOA agreed to lower my assessment by 18% after meeting with them in person!!! My faith in government has been restored!!
I disputed my property tax as well and received an answer in early Spring stating that Fulton Co. would not lower the assessment. I then sent in the form to appeal to the BOE. I received a letter a couple of months ago stating they received my appeal form. I'm waiting for a date to go to the BOE. Since Fulton County received 1,920 property tax returns in 2008 and this year it received 15,273 returns, I'll be waiting a while for my meeting. My assessment is double what I paid from my home in 2009, so I'm guessing I'll be going to court over this one.
The Fulton County Real Estate Property Tax Return (sometimes called a TPA) can be found at:
http://www.fultonassessor.org/content/pdffiles/Hs2010P.pdf

It MUST be filed by April 1, 2010. Also, the Fulton County Taxpayer Foundation is holding public workshops in February on how to file your appeals.

http://fctf.org/
Bob-

I just received responses THIS PAST WEEK from Fulton County on several rental properties I filed a Real Property Return on last March, so they are obviously way behind in processing these returns. For the most part, they are offering little to no reduction in the assessed value, so I imagine I will be spending some time this year pursuing my reassessment through the Board of Equalization and eventually Superior Court.

Make sure you file your Real Property Return again for 2010, even though your 2009 appeal is still in process.

Bob,

As much as you would like to 'wait'... give them a call with your parcel ID No. and ask for a status update. You are allowed a one-time rescheduling on your part. But, you don't want to be surprised and miss your appeal date with them. Best to you!

I would appeal every year. Make sure to fill out a Property Tax Return form putting an of value lower than your assessment before April 1, 2010 just to have the right of an appeal later - once you get your new tax bill for this year. If the assessment does not go up, you are not able to appeal unless you have filed a Property Tax Return....
My understanding is that an assessment appeal filed prior to March 1 would be reviewed before the tax bills were sent out later that same year, Bob. I hope you get an answer that resolves this for you. Good Luck!