Property Q&A in South End>Question Details

Schleusenmei…, Home Buyer in 94702

Partial bath? Half bath? Which is which?

Asked by Schleusenmeister, 94702 Fri Jan 21, 2011

What's the difference between a partial bath and a half bath? I assume one has a shower, toilet and sink, while the other has only a toilet and sink, but I don't know which is which. (Pardon if this is covered in a FAQ, which I can't find.)

Answers

2
Partial bath has a shower, sink and toilet. A half bath only has a sink and a toilet. Look at it like this: 1/2 this only has half the things a full bathroom has (bath, shower, sink, toilet) and partial bath: 3/4; this had 3 of the things an actual full bathroom has. Hope this helped.
"Partial bath" is not a commonly used term in real estate. Every form I have ever used as a Realtor and an appraiser does differentiate between "Full Bath", "3/4 bath", and "1/2 bath". Full bath has at least three fixtures being tub, sink, and toilet. Three quarter (3/4) has a shower, toilet and sink. Lastly, 1/2 bath has a sink and toilet. Over the years I have seen properties which have had an additional sink OR toilet either in a bedroom or somewhere else in the home. That could be referred to as "partial bath" but is felt to have limited utility and therefore inconsequential value to the property.