NEPAbuyer, Home Buyer in Pennsylvania

Northeast Philadelphia: Per sq. ft. cost to build bathroom for this are of the city?

Asked by NEPAbuyer, Pennsylvania Tue Feb 14, 2012

Since most row/townhomes in this area are only one bathroom, what is the average per sq. foot cost to build a bathroom? I know that there are variables that will affect cost but even a range would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Answers

4
I have had contractors remodeled (gutted and rebuilt) numerous bathrooms and just recently added a high end powder room to my own home from scratch including running plumbing , HVAC, Ceramic tile floor, 6 panel solid wood door, hardware, light fixtures and wiring, Venting through the roof, Etc. The cost was $6500.00 but that is without a tub or stall shower and Tile enclosure/glass doors, Etc. The plumbing was relatively close and in an unfinished area of a basement so there was easy access. If you are considering this project, by all means get estimates from reputable contractors. If you are looking for ball park numbers for consideration I hope this helps.

Bob Weiss
NEPA buyer,

cost per square foot is not the issue. possible need to rout plumbing and drainage IS the issue, then how fancy you want to get. Anna is right -bring contractors INTO your home to price what you want done, not over phone.

Sorry - but any anwer you get here is useless and almost certainly misleading, because you said BUILD / ADD a bath, not remodel one. Even a range is still just a wild-goose guess. Get quotes based what needs to be done in YOUR house - then there are fewer suprises.
To tear out (gut and start new) and remodel a bathroom $6000-$10000. for average to average plus materials in an average sized bathroom. To add a bath from scratch add the previous number to the cost of of getting the water and drainage to the new location PLUS the cost to construct the enclosure and add the door , hardware and Heat/ventilation. Any estimate to do this portion is a pure guess !!

Bob Weiss,
Broker/Owner
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtor
215-379-2002
r.weiss@cbhearthside.com
Dear NEPAbuyer:

Having owned properties and added both powder rooms and full baths, speaking as an owner I can assure you that once you do the physical rough out of the space you are talking about a huge variable of options with which to fill it. Do you want to go to Restore and pick up recycled bath parts? Are you heading to the home depot? Or are you installing a high end shower?

Your best bet would be to speak with a few local small contractors that can accurately and professionally assess both the property, your basic needs, and your wish list. I think it is less than accurate to take a ppsf application in this situation. You may get answers, but the reality may vary for you base upon the structural and building issues that arise. Go to the source and get an estimate.

Ana Barlow
Coldwell Banker Preferred
Web Reference: http://www.anabarlow.com