Kathleen Nel…, Renter in Scottsdale, AZ

Need to verify this property is legit . I was just asked for money up front without viewing property!

Asked by Kathleen Nelson, Scottsdale, AZ Wed May 1, 2013

I sent a text to # listed as was asked for deposit and would "mail the key"

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3116906390-8520-E-Rose-Ln-Scott…

Answers

9
Please be very careful! As others have mentioned, never send money and expect to have someone mail a key to you. Try to deal only with REALTORS or if you can for sure identify that it is a legitimate homeowner.

Some scammers will pull the tax records and claim to be the owner on title. These types of scams have been going of for years. I've actually had a few of my rental listings copied and posted hundreds of dollars below our list price and similar comparable homes. One tip: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

James Wehner
West USA Realty
480-323-5462
NEVER send money to get a key mailed to you. A legitimate property can be viewed by the prospective tenant/owner. This property is for sale and is also currently under contract. For help with rental or purchase needs you can contact me : Ruth Sewart/ Russ Lyon Sothebys Realty. ruth.sewart@russlyon.com
That is the sounds of a scam to me!
Kathleen, I'm certainly glad you posted this question here for the agents to respond. It might have just saved you a LOT of money and heartache.

As you can see from the other responses, this home is actually listed for SALE on the MLS, NOT for rent.

As Trulia states: Beware of rental scams! Situations involving wire transfers or a landlord who is traveling and can't meet you in person can be red flags. Read more here:
http://www.trulia.com/blog/discovertrulia/2010/06/trulia_psa…

What you're describing is a known scam that's been running for a few years here throughout the Valley. Here's how it works:

A scammer takes a property listing from the web, copies/pastes the description, pictures, etc on Craigslist, Backpage, etc. and they act as the owner trying to rent it out. They give you a story that 'they're out of town at the moment, but you can mail me a deposit check and I'll just send you the key and lease paperwork.'. Of course, the check is sent by an unsuspecting renter and it's cashed, only to never hear from the phony owner again.

If you haven't already, PLEASE have a real estate agent pull properties direct from the MLS and send to you. Whether you're buying a home or looking for a rental, it doesn't cost YOU anything to have an agent represent you; our fee/commission is paid by the SELLER/OWNER of the property.

You'll have someone working FOR you and WITH you to find a nice home that cares about YOUR interests and well-being. Wouldn't that be great?

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions!

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group
PH: 480.231.6769
Jim@TheAZRealtor.com
Dear Kathleen: That comment about mailing a key does not sound right. Beware. Good observation to be wary.

Often the properties are legitimate but someone is using the actual property for something illegal or a scam.

It often does not cost you as a tenant to represent you. I would consider that.

Here are all properties for rent in Scottsdale: http://link.flexmls.com/x4hxcq8rtpc,12

Call me with questions.

Jeffrey Masich, Realtor, GRI, MBA
HomeSmart
Scottsdale
http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
JeffMasich@ArizonaHomesLand.com
480-556-0940
Yes, the property is legit.
It appears to be a flip property.
Here is a link to all the listing information and tax records
http://www.flexmls.com/link.html?zoythfspr7f,12,1
Let me know if you need anything else.
Bob Dickinson
602-527-8086
That property is currently under contract accepting backups according to MLS. Contact the listingagent at 480-788-9090 He will give you the straight scoop.
Hi Kathleen,

This property is for sale MLS 4926435. It is listed for $337,000. It is a flip, and has an offer and is accepting back up offers. The number you texted is not anywhere in the listing. I would have to say that person is trying to scam people.

If you would like help in finding a home, please contact me. I will be happy to help you find a wonderful home.

Thanks for the question,
Linda Matejko
480-202-2649
Linda.Matejko@gmail.com
that's a question none of us would feel comfortable answering. this home shows it went under contract on 4/30 as a sale. It is listed on the MLS at $337,000. Possibly the buyer is going to rent it out, but who really knows. I wouldn't send anyone money without seeing a property or knowing for sure if the person you are sending it to is the actual owner. It hasn't even closed yet as it just went under contract.
Lorrie Feld