Property Q&A in 12186>Question Details

Chris, Home Buyer in Delmar, NY

My 700 sf camp in this area, with no heating, a leaking roof, and no foundation is taxable at $55K. How can the property tax be $3.900 ?? Mistake???

Asked by Chris, Delmar, NY Wed Nov 7, 2012

Answers

5
I would check with your town assessor - you want to know what the assessment is and what the tax rate is per thousand. I would ask how they came up with the assessment. I would also check with a local realtor and ask them to do a cma (comparison market assessement) to see what the market value should be. You could also get it appraised which would be done by a licensed appraisor, who would charge you a fee. You can always grieve your assessement at Grievance Day - usually in early May to get your assessment lowered - the cma and appraisal will help prove your point.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2012
Property taxes are not based on condition or heating. It is square footage, kitchen, baths, etc., at a formula used for the area.

You can always grieve your taxes and unless there is some extraordinary fact regarding your property, $55,000/year taxes are reserved for mansions.
You could always protest. However, as Anna suggested, you should verify the actual tax amount, and if you believe that it is over assessed, you should consult an Attorney who specializes in tax grievances or tax certiorari proceedings.

I hope this answered your question. Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
It's always a good idea to verify taxes with the local tax assessor's office...
Thank you, will definitely do.