Property Q&A in Stamford>Question Details

Jj, Home Buyer in Greenwich, CT

My neighor's expanding invaded my house privacy

Asked by Jj, Greenwich, CT Tue Sep 11, 2012

we have some concerns about our neigbours expanding: My house is in one acre zone. once it was very good in terms of privacy. Now, one of my neighor expanding his small house into a big one. Before his expanding, only one our my window from bathroom can see his house, now, his new house has big windows which can see my house from two bed romms and my family room and living room , my backyard balcony. I really feel my privacy has been invaded a lot and it also may devalued my house.I checked the city hall, his house is extanded to the wetland of his territory, and the city hall gave him approval of his house expanding to wetland. Is anything we can do? your advice is highly appreciated.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Jj,

The previous answers are probably correct. If all the permits are in place then nothing can be done from that direction. I find it strange that he was allowed an encroachment on the wetlands; this is very unusual in Greenwich. What you can do is re-landscape. Consult with someone like Mark Mariani who is a local builder and owns a nursery in Armonk. Mark is a master at obscuring that which should be hidden.

Jay Cooke
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
buy his house-unfortunately- privacy comes at a high cost
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
If his expansion meets all of the zoning guidelines, then there is probably nothing that can be done. If his expansion required any variances, then there would have been a window to oppose the variance. Check with the building or zoning department. Either way, if the work has started, then you are probably too late.

Dan Ross
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer