Property Q&A in Aitkin>Question Details

Frank, Other/Just Looking in Aitkin, MN

My dad passed away 6 years ago and he owned 40 acres of land. the siblings have been paying the taxes but how do we get the property in our names?

Asked by Frank, Aitkin, MN Sun Nov 13, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


thanks for the responses. yes maybe some more info would have been helpful. My dad did not have a will and the property did not go through probate. I will look into the suggestions thank you!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011
Frank: youmay need a real estate attorney, but you can start with your local assessor's office and find out the staus. Usually the recorder's office can give you some helpful tips on such matters; you probably need a death certificate, a copy of the deed if you have one, the last kown transaction and any will or other documentation regarding your father's desire to have you and your siblings inherit. If you had gone through probate it is likely that this matter would have been resolved. So - do your homework, check with the county clerk or recorder and then, if need be, you will be ready to seek legal help. Good luck. MN has a law now that saves many from probate in the matter of property transfer. You can have what is known as a transfer on death document that names someone you choose. Good luck. As licensed realtors, we keep up on legal matters relating to all kinds of property. I offer these ideas only as a means of your gathering the data you need to resolve the issue. Liz
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011

The propate prosess should assign your father's assets to his heirs. Did your father's estate pass through probate? Did he have a will? Was the property in a trust? Talk to the person who handled your father's will (if he had one) or contact a local attorney and ask how you can have the real property transfered to you and your siblings.

Cameron Piper
licensed MN Broker
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011
There's too many unknowns here. Please speak to a real estate attorney as soon as possible.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer