Property Q&A in 92703>Question Details

cody.crawford, Home Owner in Centennial, CO

My HOA served me papers for a $84 monthly due that I apparently didn't pay 6 months ago. The papers say I owe $1200 for late fees and interest.

Asked by cody.crawford, Centennial, CO Tue Jan 1, 2013

They are continuing to take my $84 fee every month as it is on direct withdrawal. I called and asked them to send me proof that I missed the payment, they never did. I filed an "answer" with the courts before the court date stating that I was not notified correctly about the 1 month missed HOA due.

Now, they have been to my house trying to serve me probably over 12 times. 3 times with my babysitter, at least 3 times with my mother at home, and 2 times with my girlfriend. (I work late). My neighbor even said "some lady is looking for you." Once on Christmas eve which I did not answer due to family activities, and once on New Years eve, again for the same reason. He yelled through the door that he will be back with a sheriff.

All this over an $84 missed payment? HOA is still taking my payments every month. What are my chances of beating this when I finally have to go in? They never called me once. Any advice?

Answers

2
The best advise is to talk to an attorney. We as realtors are not able to give out legal advise The attorney you use can clear this up quickly. I would do this soon call tomorrow for an attorney and don't let this go further

Ingrid Ski Realtor
939-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
I would say talk to an attorney and do not miss any court dates. Fees add up very quickly and they will get an order to take all of that money out of your account if the judge finds against you. I had a condo in Aliso Viejo many years ago and did not even know about the city HOA and they did the same thing... $75 every quarter...eventually they received a court order and swiped $5500 out of my checking account when I was on my honeymoon...we could not do anything because we were out of the country. The bank had to comply and allow the funds to be take out because it was a court order. HOAs are no joke. Good luck... gather all proof of all of your payments and file to see a judge... then I would file for harassment.