Property Q&A in Grand Oaks>Question Details

Ctrish, Home Buyer in Starkville, MS

Last year I gave land to a relative through a gift deed. Do I still own the mineral rights?

Asked by Ctrish, Starkville, MS Tue Apr 23, 2013

The deed reads:
"THIS CONVEYANCE IS EXPRESSLY MADE AND ACCEPTED SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING, TO-WIT: Any and all restrictions, covenants, mineral reservations and conveyances, conditions and easments, if any, relating to the herein conveyed property, but only to the extent that they are still in effect, valid, subsisting, and shown of record in the office of the County Clerk."

Most likely not, unless you specifically made it part of the contract.
You may not have even had mineral rights yourself back when you owned it.

Is the land in Texas? If so, call Laura Fowler at The Fowler Law Firm.

Mention ShawnMon referred you and she will give you free consultation to get you started on the right track and then tell you any costs that would be associated with handling this, if any at all. It seems pretty cut and dry though.
Web Reference:
I agree with Douglas. Make sure you find a REAL ESTATE attorney that does real estate day in and out. I know of one in town that will do a free one hour consultation to help you understand the scope of what is needed from a lawyer.

Call an attorney and be willing to pay for his/her advice.