Jean, Home Buyer in Hawaii Kai, Honolulu,...

Joint Tenancy in Hawaii

Asked by Jean, Hawaii Kai, Honolulu, HI Mon Feb 15, 2010

I put up the down payment for a condo in Hawaii. A friend qualified for the loan, has lived there and paid the payments. We took title as "joint tenants". Now my friend is moving to anotoher State and has offered to sign a Quit Claim and Grant Deed to me. I will move in and make the mortgage payments (but I couldn't qualify for a loan). Is a Quit Claim and/or Grant Deed proper in Hawaii? (I've done this in CA in the past but HI is not a "Deed" state, it is a "lien" state, so I'm not sure what is proper. THANK YOU for any help ?? Desperate. Jean

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Jean,

I would talk to your local title company for starters. Call TItle Guaranty in Hawaii Kai and ask them to help you out. You may need a real estate attorney. If so, I can recommend one.
It's not clear how it will work, if you are making the mortgage payments, but your friend is releasing their interest in the property. How are you going to let the mortgage company know that someone else is making payments? I think what you're saying is that you want the other person to be released from the deed, but you are the new mortgagor (making the payments). Anyway, talk to TG or another title company (there is Island Title on Kapahulu).

Frank Diaz (RA), MBA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 15, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer