You could certainly approach the owners, letting them know of your interest in the property, should they decide, or have to sell. I would suggest being sympathetic in your approach, as this is no doubt a difficult time for them. As for getting it as a foreclosure, it's not there yet and may never be. Just remember, the owner and you are diametrically opposed in your goals. They want to have enough money to remain whole, while you want a bargain. That having been said, you'll never know unless you try. I wish you good luck whatever you choose to do.