Property Q&A in Spring>Question Details

Pancho Lopez, Renter in Spring, TX

Is there a law in TX prohibiting renting a house to illegal immigrants?

Asked by Pancho Lopez, Spring, TX Mon Oct 8, 2012

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3096186494-28902-San-Bernard-Ri…

Answers

5
Hi Pancho,
As far as I know, there's no law that prohibits a Landlord from renting a house to an illegal immigrant in Texas.

The Landlord is not obligated to ask if the tenant is legal or illegal. Usually though, the Landlord will ask for a valid form of I.D. for their records.
Web Reference: http://www.amandahomes.com
Law questions are for attorneys.

My lay person answer is this:
Some cities have laws against renting to illegal immigrants.
Some people might argue ...how are landlords to know if the tenants are illegal or not. We don't ask that on an application.
Now a bored DA might try to prosecute a landlord who knowingly and intentionally harbors a criminal.
There are some risks you take, but then again how would you know?

Great question for your attorney.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
There is no law in Spring TX prohibiting rent a house to an alien who does not have legal immigration status.
Some cities in Texas can have some prohibitions that way, but there is no state regulation.
Poncho, this is a question for a lawyer. I am not a lawyer and cannot answer this for you. Please contact an attorney.

Leticia