Property Q&A in Mill Valley>Question Details

Angela Wooda…, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Is it worth it to have a realtor help with land/lot purchase? Not sure what value an agent adds to this type of transaction? Thanks -

Asked by Angela Woodard, San Francisco, CA Sat Jul 27, 2013

Answers

6
A real estate practitioner adds more than "value," if you define value as a monetary outcome. Value, by any other name, is a reassurance that all is in order, and that your rights are duly considered, etc.. This is akin to the question why should I pay for insurance, versus, does insurance add value. You and anyone that thinks about this question knows that it doesn't add value, but does give you a sense of security in knowing that you are covered/protected should the need arise. An agent will help with this sort of thing, and more. If you work directly with a seller or a private party in any respect, you run the risk of unknowingly getting in over your head on matters unfamiliar to either. On the other hand, some savvy owner(s) take advantage of the naiveté of unsuspecting buyers. So, I would recommend that in such a big and important investment it make sense to get a representative -- even if you have to foot that bill (when a seller is unwilling to retain an agent).

Angela, if you would like direct access to any type of information you may not find here, I'm just a phone call away, 415-850-4361.
Yes, you do want to be represented by a real estate broker experienced in land deals. The transaction itself is simple which is all the more reason you want help. Easy to get into, but you could regret it later.

it is important to know what the city/county allows you to build there and the realities of that happening. what variances are possible... Building costs vary greatly. Knowing which professionals to use for due diligence is worth its weight in gold. Much, much more to the process.

I have two lots listed right now and have sold many over the years. I'm happy to help, 722-4842.

Best of luck!
Patti Cohn
415-722-4842
The answer is yes only if you can find an agent with experience in dealing with land purchases/sales in the area you are looking.

Before I opened my brokerage firm I bought and sold land in 9 different counties and it is complicated.

I have not done land deals recently enough in marin to offer our services, but you might try bill bullock at sothebys as they have several raw land listings.
Dino is so correct! With a vacant lot there is so much to know and things you need to look our for. Look at all the questions you had on your previous post. An agent is going to help guide you with getting that information. Building a home in Mill Valley can be very expensive, especially if the lot is on a hill. The good news is getting an agent costs a buyer nothing. So why not get the added help?
Best of Luck!
Liz Williamson
415 260-3750
Hi Angela,

Having a Realtor is the best choice you can make. A Realtor that works with land purchases can help you from having a costly head ache in the future. There are many factors in building a home. Set backs, easments, city restrictions, the lists goes on. I highly recomend thst you have Realtor representing you not one getting paid by the seller. Oh and a Realtor doesnt cost you a cent if you sre the buyer. Looks like Dino Wilson has good experience in land purchases.
Good luck if you need a great agent to sell your home in the City you may call me.

Warm regards,

Miguel A Paredes III
Top Pruducer
Presidential Award of Distintion
415-233-3235
mparedes@fhallen.com
Hi Angela,

The answer is YES! I have land on in Petaluma and another lot coming in San Anselmo. The backround information regarding these properties is very important to a buyer and having an agent who has experience with this is a distinct advantage. The value to the buyer is that we (I) have that experience and know how to manage this with making sure that you are not wasting your time with an overly complicated situation.
Please call me if you have further questions ,415-215-2614.
Dino Wilson Alain Pinel Realtors.