Property Q&A in Bronx>Question Details

Tjrasa, Home Buyer in Bronx, NY

In the early 1950s I was living in the basement apt of 1718 Garfield Street. Question about 1716 Garfield. Thx

Asked by Tjrasa, Bronx, NY Mon Jan 2, 2012

I am so glad to see the old neighborhood is as lovely as every. Does anyone know if the backyard of 1716 Garfield still has the lovely mosaic fountain built in the early '50s by the old Italian man who owned the house? Thanks.

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3010456401-1633-Garfield-St-B…

Answers

5
Tjrasa,

Unfortunately, I would love to help but unless its on the MLS currently active we don't have access to the property. I would suggest contacting the Homeowner or a family member. It looks like you have some wonderful memories over there!

Best of Luck!

Millie Valentin
RE/MAX Voyage
1930 Williamsbridge Road, 2nd Flr
Bronx, NY 10461
Thanks to each and every one of you for your suggestions. I had tried Google Earth but cannot see the backyards on Garfield Street. I was told by someone 20 years ago 'If you saw the old neighborhood it would break your heart' so it is lovely to see it restored and even more lovely than I remember it.

To anyone thinking of moving to the Bronx, don't miss this neighborhood in the Van Nest section. If Parkchester is your idea of beauty, and why wouldn't it be, these are within walking distance and I made that walk many times in the 50s and 60s. The Van Nest area was a great place to grow up.

As I always say to everyone, I can't imagine and wouldn't want to grow up anywhere but in that neighborhood in the Bronx. The schools were great, there were hundreds of kids living there and even more things to do (with imagination :)

Best to you all and if anyone finds out about that wonderful old man's garden mosaics, please do mention them. He was amazing.

I will eventually start writing about this area back then on a blog I started on WordPress. When I do I will come back and add a link.
Have you tried Google Earth? If you pan in you can sometimes see everything.
I currently own and live on Mead St.
There are a couple of properties on the market in that specific area. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are interested.

Jose Flores
Exit Realty Power
917-353-8808
Web Reference: http://Www.exitflores.com
Sorry, didn't have enough space to say all... I was a very young kid in the early 1950s living in the basement apt at 1718 Garfield St. I have wonderful memories of living there. The old Italian man next door in 1716 had built a gorgeous mosaic fountain and had lovely rose gardens. We were only allowed in his backyard once to get a close up view. If anyone knows if the fountain is still there, I'd love to know and to see a photo if possible. We moved from there to around the corner on Mead Street. That neighborhood was a wonderful place to grow up. I can't imagine growing up anywhere else! So glad to see that it is as lovely as ever. Thank you!