Property Q&A in 07470>Question Details

Casapaole, Home Owner in 07470

In NJ, is there a professional certification I should look for when having a fireplace inspected?

Asked by Casapaole, 07470 Mon Mar 26, 2012

Answers

5
Casapaole, assumably you are having or just had a home inspection done, based upon your question; Would suggest you ask your Real Estate Agent to supply you with at least 3 companies for the Inspection; Then you can interview each on the phone, get pricing and select one to work for you; As mentioned, you don't want a Company that inspects and repairs, because they might be -repair- driven and -imply- things may be wrong, that very well may not be;
Make sure your choice is a company that only INSPECTS, but does NOT repair, clean or install.
That way you get an opinion with no ulterior motives.
The Nation al Fire Protection Association adopted these levels of inspection into code: Level 1, 2 or 3.
Each level of inspection covers specific items depending on the individual appliance and venting system.
The Chimney Safety Institute of America, Website offers homeowner resources and a search by zipcode for a certified chimeny Sweep that can perform these inspections. Best of luck.
Yes there is one example is CSIA: Cerified Chimney Sweep Association. and there is another, I have an example at the top left of this attached link which may also be of use to you if they service your area.
( I have not used this company nor do I know them I just googled them to show you what type of link so that you could see what to look for)

Certified Chimney Company Link: http://www.certifiedcraftsmen.com/