Ms Griffin, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia County,...

If two siblings inhered a property, an only one sibling paid property taxes for 14 years. can the one that paid the taxes sue the other for ownership?

Asked by Ms Griffin, Philadelphia County, PA Sun Jan 8, 2012

My mother pasted away and left two property's. One is in Philadelphia and the other is in North Carolina, I live in the one in Philadelphia an my sister lives in the other. I have been paying the taxes for the past 14 years by myself, my sister has never paid anything for the property in Philadelphia. My sister has me in court for half of the property in Philadelphia. Can I sue her for non payment of property taxes for the past 14 years? Can I sue her for full ownership of the property in Philadelphia since she abandoned the property by not paying her half of the real estate taxes for 14 years? I filed a counterclaim asking her for half of everything that I put in the property from property taxes,to repairs and upkeep. Can I get soul ownership of the property in Philadelphia after paying the taxes for 14 years, after my sister abandoned the property?

Answers

2
I'm not going to comment on possible outcomes. I feel sorry you can't come to an agreement with your sibling without involving the courts. I will assume you tried to come to an understanding before legal action. I hope the best for you, hopefully you will be able to resolve this issue. Since this is family - try and forgive each other at the conclusion.
Contact a good real estate attorney in Philadelphia.