Question Details

Cdroberts, Other/Just Looking in Savannah, GA

If 3 sisters have their name on a property. And 1 sister wants to rent, sale or borrow money off the house and the other 2 do not. What can be done?

Asked by Cdroberts, Savannah, GA Sat Mar 31, 2012

Can the one sister take the other two to court?

Answers

4
Cdroberts,

Either 3 sisters communicate, compromise, find a middle ground, and all agree to what happens with the property OR everybody disagrees, at which point it could turn into a situation where everybody retains their own legal counsel. Someone could bring a 'suit for partition' or sue to have the property sold and liquidated. There are obvoiusly many variations of what could happen. I would consult an attorney to find out the best course of action.

Best of luck to your family, Dan
Advise is a verb, advice is a noun!

Sorry, Catholic school here.

Jim
Wow, could that 1 sister be you. Not much a Realtor can do to assist you, we sell homes, but if you want to get into a legal battle speak to an attorney. We cannot give legal advise.

Good luck with that one. I have 3 sisters myself.
Goodness...I would think you have to set it up in a democratic style, one sister one vote.
However, you would obviously be outvoted this way. It is my understanding, however, you can contact an attorney and explore your options in terms of a case for court.
Perhaps an interim step would be to hire a third party mediator?
I hope things work out amicably!
Jim