Property Q&A in 46324>Question Details

Mustangkim490, Home Buyer in 46324

I was told a room can't be listed as a bedroom if there isn't a closet and window in the room. Is that true?

Asked by Mustangkim490, 46324 Tue Oct 19, 2010

Joe is right but with that said I also try to adjust for "original intention of the room". Many older homes won't have closets for a few reasons. Taxes use to be based on the number of rooms you had. Closets were taxed as a room so many people opted to have their bedrooms built without closets. Also, people back then didn't have the extensive wardrobes we have today, so it was not unusual for all of the clothes to fit in an armoire.

Before the advent of central air and heating bedrooms were small to best efficiently stay comfortable. Many of these bedrooms are advertised by today's standards as an office or bonus room. So yes, Joe is absolutely correct in the industry standards of determining what defines a bedroom, but when I walk into a home that has three bedrooms and everyone is using dressers I know that listing the home as a zero bedroom is a dis-service to those clients.

Great question Kim!

Great question. By most industry standards, for a room to be classified as a bedroom it must have three things:

1. A door
2. An egress window
3. A closet

I would add that the room must be accessed via a public part of the house and not through another bedroom.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Joe Shoemaker
Principal Broker, REALTOR®
MacDuff Realty Group, LLC
317 413.8501
Web Reference: