Property Q&A in 27262>Question Details

Lkayr, Home Owner in 27262

I want to get blueprints for a house in High Point that I don't own/rent. Is it legal for me to do this and where would I go to get them?

Asked by Lkayr, 27262 Fri Jun 1, 2012

The house was on the market a few years ago & I went to an open house. I fell in love with the house but it was taken off the market (not sold- removed by seller) before I could buy it. I'd still love to purchase it but while I wait for the owner to decide to put it back on the market (ha ha!!) I want the floor plan/blueprints.

Answers

4
Kay it looks like that house was last sold back in 2005 for $510,000. The original ownership was in 1960 by a company called Stanford Marley Distributing. I can't find anything about them currently, so I don't think they are still in business. It looks like a great house and pool and it is on several lots. I saw the outline of the house and its measurements, but no floor plans. Maybe you can write to the current owners and ask them if they have anything?

At this point, I don't know what else to to tell you. Good luck though!
Kathy
Thank you both so much! The house was built in 1964 and it's in the Emerywood (Forest??) neighborhood. I guess I really don't need the actual blueprints, just the floor plan. I can sketch it out (in theory) but I'd really like something more accurate than my memory.

I have looked at thousands of floor plans online, numerous different sites, and I have never found anything like this. It's a split level, and then some. There are actually 4 different levels that are staggered off each other- it's just my dream house. (Though I would want to make a few changes to it if I were ever able to purchase it.)

The address is 948 Nottingham there in High Point. I haven't been able to find out who the builder is, of course, I have no idea where to start looking for that information. I was thinking that when you build a house you have to have the plans on file with the city, maybe I'm wrong on that? But if that was true, maybe I could get a copy of them.

Thanks for the help! Any additional help will be appreciated too.
~Kay
Lkayr,

As Kathy stated it depends on the neighborhood and builder. If you would like to let me know the address I can try to track it down for you. However I will caution you that if it is a custom house the custom builders are pretty protective of their plans. You need to understand a full set of blueprints is thousands of dollars from architect. Now there are ways to get just the floor plans which is the basic footprint of the house with rooms and measurements. The floor plan is attainable usually. If you would like feel free to contact me through my profile here on Trulia.

Hope this helps,
If it is a neighborhood that was built entirely by a local builder who is still in business, it is possible they would be able to provide you with that floor plan. Popular floor plans are still being built by some builders. You can also check at the Register of Deeds to see who originally purchased the land to build and try to contact them that way. You can also see if there is a similar one online. Try http://www.houseplans.com and you may see something similar or even better. Good luck!