Property Q&A in 97027>Question Details

rgbowman, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

I seek a VA loan and need information on how I can inspect a home myself before making a serious offer. Is there any thing out there to help me?

Asked by rgbowman, Portland, OR Tue Oct 11, 2011

There must be some key things to look for since the VA inspectors are more cautious and demanding that a home meets inspection qualifications before approving a VA loan.

Answers

4
The appraisal is altogether different and separate from a home inspection.

A home inspection completed by an experienced, licensed, and bonded professional is highly recommended. This is a thorough examination of your home that will help you identify repairs needed and/or other issues with the home itself. It is commonly referred to as a pest and dry rot inspection and your agent should be able to make a recommendation to you.

A home appraisal is required by your lender and is an opinion of the value of the home. A VA and FHA appraisal for that matter must also prove to be "safe, sound, and secure" a head and shoulders inspection of the property will be completed however it is not and should not be considered as substitute for the above mentioned home inspection. The VA appraiser is assigned randomly by the VA and in the past they were known to include a laundry list of repairs not suggested on the home inspection however that hasn't really been the case. If the home is deemed acceptable for FHA it is typically deemed acceptable fro the VA as well.

I do have a flyer of common repair items that I have made available online for you... click the link below
There are all different kinds of home inspection sheets on line you can find and go through to see what the main items are an inspector will be looking for. Unless you are a contractor that is sued to doing the home inspections, you are better off paying for a home inspector to do one for you. If you need any help give me a hollar.

Lana
Hi Rgbowman,

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a home! Buying real estate has never been this affordable. As far as inspecting a home prior to making an offer, any Real Estate Broker can help find homes that meet your criteria and set up showings for you to see inside the home. Once you have decided on a home you want to buy, your broker can help run comps and help you determine what offer you would like to make on the home. The broker's job is also to negotiate the offer on your behalf with the listing agent who will be representing the seller's interest. It is always a good idea to have your own agent working for your interests. In most cases, you will not have to pay any compensation for your buyer's agent. Once your offer has been accepted by the seller, I would also highly recommend you get a home inspection to see everything going on with the home that any buyer should be made aware of.

I would be happy to help you find the right home for you whether in Gladstone or any other Portland Metro area that interests you. Please let me know if I can help.

Mandy Lewis
Real Estate Broker, Windermere
(503) 522-5803 direct
rgbowman;

VA appraisers look for issues that effect the value of a home. They are not more cautious or demanding than what you a buyer might be. Having a professional home inspection and knowing where things stand is your best bet - you might talk to you lender - they often can give you a heads up. Below I listed a few things that I have seen come back on a Notice of Value for a VA loan.

1. Fire wall of Garage incomplete or have holes in it - http://www.centraloregonbuzz.com/blog/firewall-and-solid-doo…

2. Broken Windows

3. Faulty heaters

4. Broken toilets

basic living comforts must be in place and in good order -