Vicente Barr…, Home Buyer in

I saw a condo at Whitney Square that looks nice, I worry about humidity and exposed brick wall, any opinions about Whitney Square apartments?

Asked by Vicente Barreiro, Tue Apr 24, 2012

Answers

6
I've lived in the building for 6 years. Zero issues with moisture or humidity on / from the exposed brick. If anything, I'd say we would say the air a touch on the dry side.

The building is no-frills, but the units are very nice, and we love the location. Both downtown and NE are walkable, and very easy driving access to the neighborhood if you're coming from west of the city.
I love the Whitney Square building and haven't experienced any problems what so ever.
Hi, Vbarreiero.
I think you might benefit from actually seeing the units. One would assume that the builder/renovators included items in their plans to prevent these types of moisture issues from happening. Hard to tell unless you ask them directly.

But, I would suggest you don't go in to this process unless/until you have an agent on your side. If you wait until you are "ready to make an offer", it will be too late to have someone working and negotiating on your behalf. The time to secure your agent is from the get go!

And, generally, it will not cost you anything out of pocket.

I guess what I worry about and I should ask current residents is with the brick wall being porous and breathing (as all brick walls are), I'm wondering if the apartments are colder than usual in the winter and whether the exposed brick wall get moist when it rains or thaw. Also I've been reading about efflorescense and I wonder if that's normal of a construction that old or whether is a sign of something more serious
Efflorescence can occur with any products that are made from materials that come from the earth. Hard to tell if it's going to happen until it does. But, there are products to treat that natural chemical process to prevent it from
becoming a problem. Best to see it and ask questions of the association.
Flag Wed Apr 25, 2012
You are doing the right thing by asking questions and getting advice. before agreeing to a purchase. While a number of people here may be able to help in some way, nothing compares to having an experienced agent assist you in the purchase of a property. If you don't have an agent, get one.

Regarding the bricks and moisture. I'm not sure what the exact nature of your concern is. Humidity isn't all bad which is why some people buy humidifiers. Almost any agent will advise you to write an offer that is contingent upon you being satisfied with the results of a thorough inspection. Additionally, the seller and their agents are required by law to disclose to you any problems they know of that could affect your use and enjoyment of the property. You could also talk to residents about your concerns.

Here's some general info about bricks and humidity that you might find helpful.
http://www.oldlouisville.com/circa1900/brick-structures.htm
What is your concern regarding the humidity? I just updated a blog on the building if you want more info noted in the web reference.
Nice article!!!
Flag Wed Apr 25, 2012