Property Q&A in 01013>Question Details

michnscott, Renter in Chicopee, MA

I rent a duplex for 7 yrs. Landlord has sold property, I have no Money to move, Is there legal action to take or eligible for cash for keys Landlo

Asked by michnscott, Chicopee, MA Thu Jun 14, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


The cash for keys program is really for the foreclosure properties. It allows the owner to surrender their keys without an eviction process and they are given a moving allowance. When a bank has to go through eviction, it is a very expensive procedure so giving the homeowner an opportunity to surrender the property is usually a win win for both parties. The banks do this also to ensure that the homeowner does not destroy the property or remove items such as heating systems and appliances.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Although I have been an excellent tenant He wants my side, better maintained, extensive landscaping I have done, etc.. I also heard he probably will be bring family on other side. The landlord will use security, as no repairs needed. This still will not give me enough for 1st, last , security as going thru listings most rentals want all 3. I am on fixed income with only about $100 for emergencies. I will check for local resources. I have the usual 45 days. with all that said I am definitely wanting to know more about the cash for keys programs and maybe where to go to find out more. I see sites but it only discusses foreclosures. If anyone can direct me I would appreciate it. Thanks
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
The first thing I would check is if the new owners of the property will allow you to continue renting from them. If you have been a good tenant and paid on time, the new owners will most likely want to keep you on as a tenant.

If that is not an option, I would request from the landlord if you can use your security deposit as your last months rent. Provided you have kept the unit in good condition, your security deposit will not be needed to do repairs and you should be refunded this money.

You can also go to your local town/city and talk to the social worker there. Some times, the towns have emergency funds for situations such as yours.

Of all the things, you should find out how much time you have before you have to leave the property.

Diana Pinkham
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer