Property Q&A in 92324>Question Details

jessicasewel…, Home Owner in 92324

I recently bought a mobil home. The co-signer wishes to take his name off the morgage and lease (fine with me) but park says they will kick ME out.

Asked by jessicasewell1, 92324 Wed Sep 26, 2012

I am the main signer on the home. The co-signer helped me out by signing and the Realtor said after three months of payments, the co-signer could be taken off by signing a quit-deed. Co-signer and I were both fine with that. It has officially been three months today, but the park managers say that if he takes his name off the mortgage/lease, then they will kick me out regardless of whether the house is paid for, and I can pay monthly space rent. They say I do not qualify on my own to be on the lease for the park. It doesn't make sense to own a house, be on time with payments, and have the park decide I cant live there.. What are my options? Do I just lose the whole 20K I have invested?

Answers

3
John Arendsen's answer below is good advice. I would caution you to handle your park managers with care. They seem to be uninformed and over-powered, which can be dangerous to your residence. Over all, consult your Realtor, their employing broker and consult an attorney and show them your purchase and lease agreements.
Web Reference: http://8889ListIt.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
In all due respect to Devons's very astute advice I wouldn't pull the trigger on retaining counsel quite yet. First of all it's very expensive to retain counsel. You will have to come up with an advance retainer non refundable retainer that will probably cost you somewhere between $1000 and $5000 and don't count on getting anything back.

Second, if you are paying your rent on time every month you have certain renters rights that will protect you. You and I both know how difficult it is to evict someone who doesn't pay their rent. It's like pulling hens teeth and takes months to legally extract someone from a dwelling whether they own it or not.

You no doubt have a copy of your lease agreement with the park. I would thoroughly peruse that with a fine tooth comb. If there isn't any clause or stipulation in the agreement stating that you cannot do this the park manager doesn't really have any legal issue.

As a licensed Manufactured Home Dealer, Developer, General & Manufactured Home Contractor, Real Estate Broker and an investor with many rental/lease tenants with 3 decades of experience in the MH Industry I can tell you first hand that you have every right to continue living in your home undisturbed.

Lastly, I've also been an expert witness, MH Industry Expert for The State of California, MH consultant and Troubleshooter for 20 years and I've been retained many times on park manager/landlord bullying assignments and cases.

If you're in a rent/lease community you are either a registered and/or legal owner. If you had an agreement with your co-signer they probably retained legal ownership of he home pending your paying the note off whereby they would release the legal ownership of the home to you making you both the registered and legal owner.

If you would like to discuss this with me further in private please feel free to email me at onthelevel@cox.net or contact me through this thread. You may also contact me on my cell at 760 815-6977.

I will not charge you for any email or phone conversation, however, should you need to seek counsel I would be happy to work with your attorney as the designated expert. But once again I don't think you will need to bare that expense from what you've disclosed thus far.

Please feel free to log onto our user friendly websites for additional information:

http://www.tagrealestatesales.com
http://www.mh-processing.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
You need to contact he HCD Ombudsman ASAP. This is tantamount to harrassment if you've fully disclosed all the facts on this thread.

http://www.hcd.ca.gov/codes/ol/ombpg-menu.html