Property Q&A in Fort Worth>Question Details

Miammy, Home Owner in Fort Worth, TX

I received the house in divorce in 1982 & house is paid off. Do I need a quit claim to get ex off deed & a warranty deed to put husband of 22?

Asked by Miammy, Fort Worth, TX Thu Feb 17, 2011

yrs on

Help the community by answering this question:


I would get in touch with a title company first.
Most never ever never want to use a quit claim deed.
Do it save yourself money and headaches in the future.

You may also need to go back to your divorce attorney for assistance.

The sooner the better.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
If there IS NOT A MORTGAGE contact the tilte company .

They will require your former husband to sign the documents.

There will be an expense involved in order for all the documents signatures

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011
At the time of the divorce the attorney who handled your divorce should have had your ex-husband sign a deed over to you at that time. Contact the county clerk's public records office where the property is located to find out if a deed was filed of record during that period of time.

However, if that did not happen-- then - you may need to have your ex-husband sign a warranty deed assigning all of his interest (if any) to you. (a title company attorney can help you with that or any real estate attorney). With regard to giving your husband of 22 years part of your interest in the home- I would definitely contact an attorney to advise you on what to do in that particular situation.

Best of luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011

This is definitely an issue for a title company. You have a good reference below. I would also recommend Republic Title - they have always done excellent work in my experience.

They will be able to guide you best. By virtue of the fact that your husband has lived in the house, he has established homestead rights in the state of Texas. Now it should just be a matter of cleaning up the paperwork. The exact answer to this will largely depend on the divorce decree you are holding, so make sure you take that when you go see the title company.

There will likely be a fee involved for this service, but it will be well worth the price to get this corrected.

Good luck!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011
Call Toni Praznik: 817-601-3866
First American Title
1050 East Highway 114
Suite 200
Southlake, Texas

She is an awesome resource for Title questions and the attorney at First American will advise you on how
to proceed. Please let me know if I can assist you in the sale of your home or new home purchase.

Best regards!

Lucy A. Puniwai
(214)783-6416 - Cell
(682-224-8050 - Fax
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 17, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer