Property Q&A in Arvada>Question Details

Scott, Home Buyer in Arvada, CO

I'm selling a home in California, moving to the Arvada area.

Asked by Scott, Arvada, CO Thu Jun 18, 2009

I'm selling a home in California, moving to the Arvada area. I’m filling out 10's of sheets of questions about the house - disclosures about anything and everything. Does CO have similar disclosures and processes? Also, I have had all inspections done up front by and independent contractor – will the seller do similar in CO?

Answers

3
Lillian Lively’s answer
Yes, Seller's in CO fill out disclosure forms for the Buyer . The only exception to that is on bank owned homes where the bank says they know nothing about the condition of the house.

As a buyer, you should hire your own inspector, and your agent here can recommend a few. I do not advise my Buyers to accept a Sellers inspection. You need to know that your inspector is working for you.

I advise my Sellers to have a home inspection beffore selling, but only for the purpose of discovering any issues that need to be addressed prior to marketing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 18, 2009
All of Colorado's forms are available to the public through the Colorado Real Estate Commission. Here's a link to the property disclosure, which the seller usually completes, and the buyer usually receives within a few days of getting a home under contract: http://www.dora.state.co.us/real-estate/contracts/2008Contra… You won't get a disclosure if you buy a bank-owned home, though.

It's true that buyers do an inspection after the house is under contract. Sometimes the seller has one done, but that's not the norm here. Even then, I still advise my clients to have their own inspection done, and not rely on the findings of someone who was working for the seller.

The thing about Colorado that's different than most states is our agency law, especially regarding buyer agents. You can read my blog post about that here http://activerain.com/blogsview/537816/between-denver-and-bo… . I also have lots of other blog posts you can read, including a 6-part series for buyers.

I hope to meet you when you come out ... I've lived in Arvada for 15 years and have several blog posts about Arvada too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 18, 2009
Hello Scott,

My name is Renato Lunnon with Lunnon Real Estate. Yes, Colorado has similar disclosures. It is a way to pass along actual knowledge of the home. In Colorado, it is your right to know everything about the home you buy before you buy it.

The inspections (and any subsequent objections) are completed while "under contract" well before you close on the home. There is an Inspection contingency in the Colorado's real estate contract which gives you the write to terminate the contract based on the inspection. There are several other standard contingency clauses in the real estate contract design to protect the buyer also. It used to be "Buyer beware." Not so much anymore.

I specialize in the Arvada and surrounding areas. I grew up in the area through high school and my family still lives there. When do you plan on moving?

Renato Lunnon
Lunnon Real Estate - Metro Brokers
303-506-0281
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 18, 2009