Property Q&A in Destin>Question Details

rdabbott7, Home Buyer in Langston, AL

I'm interested in a Gulf Front Condo in the Destin, Fl area. Are insurance costs (i.e. Homeowners, Flood, Wind & Hurricane) included in the HOA fees?

Asked by rdabbott7, Langston, AL Fri Aug 9, 2013

Answers

8
In most cases, yes is the answer. the other comments are great. the quality of the agents here along the gulf coast is very high.
Gulf Front Condos cannot exist if the complex does not have a Master Insurance Policy on the entire building. As a condo owner, you will be responsible for the interior walls which are from the sheet rock in. Insurance is not as bad as you think. I represent many buyers from out of state that are surprised at just how low their insurance rates are in comparison to their personal home. In addition, the taxes are generally lower. You would be surprised how affordable a condo can be once you take into consideration the exterior building insurance policy, exterior maintenance program, elevator maintenance program, pest control, grounds keeping, cable vision, water and sewer, and trash removal, etc. It is all included in what is called the condo fee in most complexes.

As a buyer here in Florida you are entitled to receive a copy of the condo rules and regulations, a condo governance form, a FAQ sheet, and a copy of the current budget to review prior to a purchase. I make sure all of my buyers have what they need to make a good decision prior to purchase.

I would love to assist you with your purchase. You can reach me directly at Kelly@KellyKleinSoldMine.com or call me at 850-420-2480. I run a Buyer's Exclusive Agency representing buyers throughout the entire process. My services are free. I hope to hear from you.

Warmly yours,
Kelly Klein, Lifeguard Real Estate, Inc.
Broker/Owner/Realtor
Investigating the HOA is extremely important before you buy a unit. Most of the insurances are covered with the exception of contents (Homeowners, but think rental), everything drywall-in! Also, if it will be on a rental program, you will need a liability policy. This is around 300 - $400. year. If you have a mortgage, you may be required to get additional insurance (flood).
As someone mentioned earlier, each HOA is different. What I explained is the 'norm'.
Research is important on the HOA. Condo docs are all public information and filed within the county. You need to see the budgets as well as the number of unpaid units and foreclosures in the building. If the HOA is not collecting funds or managing the money properly, it is possible that bills are not paid - electric & water, insurance, contractors, employees. Any of these can file liens and make it impossible to sell your unit, or even have electricity! Pretty detailed stuff. Please be careful. Most are very good and very strong at this time. But there is always a rotten apple around. Contact me with any questions.
Donna Gentle
donna@donnagentle.com
850.533.6051
The master insurance policy is usually all that is covered in the HOA dues. Some vary, but the majority of the policy covers the building being returned to like condition from the unfinished sheet rock in. The owner would be responsible from the sheet rock in(Tile, appliances, furniture, etc.), so you would need additional insurance, and of course you want to have liability insurance, especially if you are going to be using the unit as a rental. These two will be combined in one policy normally. I will be happy to help you find your gulf front condo here is the Destin area, as well as, send you a few insurance contacts, so they can further explain your insurance options. Please feel free to email me at steven.gall@pelicanproperty.com , or go to my website to search for gulf front condos at http://www.destinand30ahomes.com . Have a great afternoon.
Generally they are, you only have to pay for contents insurance, that is why the fees seem so high. But each association determines that, when you find the building and condo you like, we will check specifically. Please let me know what you are looking for, and I will help you find it.

Regads,
All exterior insurance is covered in the HOA Dues. You would need to get insurance on the contents. That would cost you anywhere from $400-$900 a year depending on how much you want to insure your personal items, flooring, drywall, cabinets, appliances and furnishings.
Since it is a condo many times the association fees contains various insurance but each association can be different. You would need to specifically request the info from the unit you are interested in. I would be glad to assist if needed.
Have a great Friday,
Mark DeSalvo
Newman-Dailey Resort Properties
Mark@DeSalvoPA.com
850-830-6615
Call Brett Pasquariello (850) 585-1844 with Blue Marlin Realty Group located on Gulf Shore Dr., Destin FL, 32541. I have the information you are requesting.