Property Q&A in Parkmont>Question Details

Vicky, Other/Just Looking in Fremont, CA

I know the house size is appraised as 1790 sqft, but why it is 1562 sqft on your website? Thanks.

Asked by Vicky, Fremont, CA Sat Nov 23, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/Fremont/sold/2793181-…

Answers

1
This website pulls information from public records. If the owners have expanded, with or without permit, regardless of what it shows on the appraisal, as long as the owners have not gone to submit the change to public records, the records will not be revised to reflect what's there.

That's why it's challenging to use public records because too often, the public records and the what's actually there don't match.

Some owners have made revisions to their property --- added rooms, baths, etc. Even if it's done with permits, they assume that the expansion will be automatically reflected on public records. Not so.

Some owners deliberately withhold the information about the expansion because they're afraid they will be taxed more.

Some owners merely or innocently forget to submit the change.

If one applies for the change in the records, a county appraiser will be dispatched to review the expansion, take measurements, determine if the work was done with permits....and if approved, the expansion will be noted and the public records will change accordingly.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Hi Pacita,
I checked the city record, this house was built with permit as 4 rooms and 1771 sqft, the original plan script matches the current one from appraisal report, so that means the county made a mistake to have wrong record, what should I do? Thank you.
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
Yes, Redfin, Zillow, etc...will generally get their info from public records. It's up to the owner to claim his property on Zillow, for example, to make the change on that site. But it will not change what's on public records. When you bought your property, you should have had an appraisal report. So do this: 1) go to county records, find out what's there. 2) Go to building permits, and get a permit history. Perhaps there is something there about an expansion. 3) Bring your appraisal report to county records, and ask someone to check out your property to make the change (but beware, if the expansion was done without permits, it may be flagged...and you may be required to get permits for the work (that part is more manageable, than if you are required to removed the unpermitted work). Even though the property was sold as is, someone should have seen the difference between listing data and what's on the public records. You had time to discover that during your investigation period
Flag Mon Nov 25, 2013
So the other web sites such as Redfin, Zillow stated size 1790sqft could be from appraisal data not from public record? Actually I am the new owner just bought this house, I am so confused if I have responsibility for the size difference if Trulia data is correct, because the sellers and the selling agent did not tell us about it since sold as is.
Flag Sun Nov 24, 2013