Property Q&A in 94521>Question Details

Darlene Heff…, Home Buyer in Concord, CA

I know of some people that moved into a vacant house and haven't paid rent for over an year.

Asked by Darlene Heffron, Concord, CA Fri May 24, 2013

Nobody has even came to claim the home. They placed the PG&E in their names and made up a phony lease agreement. I realize this is totally illegal and I told them it is but they said people are doing this act all the time. What would happen to them if they were to get caught?

Answers

3
Welcome to the modern world of Real Estate Ownership....................for awhile.
Pacita has given a great answer. To get them out, the owner typically needs to go through an eviction process. Unfortunately, there is really no penalty involved for the squatters unless there is a clear violation of some law - examples might be substance abuse, malicious damage, etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
If they are squatters, you can certainly report them to the police

You can also report to the City the property as a possible blighted property if it's supposed to be abandoned

They may be preparing for adverse possession. See
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/adverse-possession-tr…

Legal Requirements for an Adverse Possession Claim to Land

When courts look at adverse possession claims, they apply a four-factor test. To qualify as adverse possession, the trespasser’s occupation of the land must be:

hostile
actual
open and notorious, and
exclusive and continuous for a certain period of time.