Property Q&A in Gray>Question Details

Lyndsey, Home Buyer in Gray, ME

I just bought a wooded piece of land that I am building my home on, I need some help with an effective layout/plot plan for my property? HELP!!!!!

Asked by Lyndsey, Gray, ME Fri Nov 4, 2011

Answers

6
Hi Lyndsey,

An experienced builder will not only help with the floor plan but they will also help with the orientation of the home on the land.

Weather and sun exposure, daylight basements, ledgy and most areas, drainage, driveway placement all need to be considered and will help in resale down the road......

Todd Harvey
Better Homes & Gardens
Windham, Maine
Realtor and Broker
HarveyBrothers@Masiello.com
207-650-3750
There are also some great fang shui practitioners here in Maine who can help you locate your house on the land.
You may want to consider the direction to face your windows for the most solar gain. Not quite due South in Maine.
Remember that your builder will cut down trees for the foundation, driveway and the septic , so it will open up the woods. Also if you can , you want the septic field to be down hill so you do not need to pump your septic tank. The septic design will also help you locate your house on the lot.
There are a few good builders that include the floor plan with the price of a turnkey home or draw what you want on a napkin and take it to Hancock lumber and they will draw your plans for a very reasonable fee.
I am aware of the option to hire someone to do the design, however I am on a fixed budget. I do some background knowledge in Real Estate. I am just looking for something simple, inexpensive, and quick. I will be starting very soon, once the layout is complete. Thanks for the help and information.
I know a great builder in your area who can give you some great advice on laying out your property. It depends a lot on what you want to build. Steve does a great job with design as well if needed. email me at jeff@maineshomeinspector.com and i will send you his contact information.
In addition to being a Realtor I have an Associates Degree in Architecture and Engineering which included two years of surveying. I would be happy to meet you to give you advice but you may want to hire an architect/engineer depending on the structure. Just let me know - jbeaulieu@kw.com