Property Q&A in Pocono Lake>Question Details

Bradley, Home Buyer in

I inquired about a vacant lot in Arrowhead Lakes.

Asked by Bradley, Tue Jun 2, 2009

This is a wonderful community and I am interested in building a new home for when I retire. .The listing agent agreed to meet with me to see the lot, but has since told me that a building moratorium was enacted in Arrowhead Lakes last week. I am told that permits are on hold for at least a year.

May I ask if someone could elaborate on the reason for this moratorium? I was told that a property owner who took shortcuts in the permit process is responsible. In our ongoing conversation the agent said the permits will take “at least a year, if ever”. Is it possible the moratorium will last for more than a year? Is there any chance the moratorium could go on indefinitely- or was this an excited utterance from the realtor? What about the property owners who need to sell their property now? Should I forget the whole idea?

Since the community is bisected by two Monroe County townships, does the moratorium cover both townships?

Thanks for the expertise.

Answers

3
As of today's date, Dec 10, 2010, the sewer moratorium has still not been lifted. Yes the moratorium covers both Coolbaugh and Tobyhanna Townships. I do not think this will go on indefinitely, however it sure can take some time. They are moving closer, but when it will be over can only be decided by the Pa DEP. Arrowhead is a wonderful community and I hope that you soon have that opportunity to build your retirement home. Ask to see lots that are not affected by the moratorium, and do inquire about if the lot has had a wetland walkover. Both are important issues. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 10, 2010
I spoke to the Administrative Office at Arrowhead Lake and confirmed that there is a permit issue with the sewer plant. They are currently working with the DEP on this but it could conceivably take a year to get things in order. Any building already started can finish but there will be no new sewer hook-ups approved until further notice.

Properties requiring their own on-site septic systems can still be built on.
This is definitely something to investigate and I would verify with the community what the story is. Most moratoriums I have heard of have to do with the sewer system needing expansion. But I don't know for sure in this case. If I find anything out I'll let you know.