Property Q&A in Huntsville>Question Details

Julieanne, Home Buyer in Huntsville, AL

I have seen several listings that highlight a radon monitoring system. How big a problem is radon and in what areas of AL?

Asked by Julieanne, Huntsville, AL Wed Mar 14, 2012

Answers

3
Yes the Huntsville area is in an area prone to high radon levels. It varies from area to area and house to house. We have learned the areas that are prone to dangerous levels but ALWAYS counsel clients to have testing done before a purchase. IF radon levels are too high we can ask seller to pay the ~ $2,000 cost to correct.

Before I learned about radon I sold a house in an area prone to elevated areas. The family had young children. After I learned that even homes on a crawl space can have elevated levels I paid for testing for them. I couldn't let my clients be at risk even though they didn't have the funds to pay for a test.

The levels were OK but I'm still glad we did the test so I could sleep at night. See us on Google Places pages at https://plus.google.com/103794696247714608605
Radon gas is prominent in North Alabama. However, it can show up in one house, while the house next door has no problem. It can be easy to remediate with as little as better crawl space ventilation, or a more expensive fan system that can run from a few hundred up to $1600 to $2000. An inspection can be a simple canister left in the house for a few days and then sent to a lab for analysis or the one I prefer has a continuous computer read-out that records inside the house for 24 to 48 hours. Prices range from approx. $50 for the simple test, to around $125 to $150 for the other one. It's a good idea to have your home re-inspected every few years to make sure something hasn't changed.
Danny Owen, Keller Williams Realty, 256-682-5980, Danny@OwenRe.com
Radon is an odorless gas that seeps out of the ground usually thru cracks in the bedrock. It mountainess areas this can be prominent. As an agent we recommend getting a radon test done at the time of inspection and if a high level is found then a radon mitigation system should be installed. That usually clears the problem.