Property Q&A in Saugus>Question Details

Nadene Allen, Both Buyer and Seller in Massachusetts

I have been looking on line for a 'Garden Style' condo that I would like to purchase.

Asked by Nadene Allen, Massachusetts Tue May 31, 2011

(1) I've noticed that there are so many 'Garden style' condos for sale more than other condo units.... I'm wondering if perhaps there is a reason for that that I may not be aware of.
(2) I have been a single family home owner for 40 years and have never had to deal with the noise factor with someone living above.........Is there any particular age of a condo building that I should search for to avoid hearing 'walking, etc.' from the condo unit above?

Answers

4
Nadene,

Garden Style typically means that it is 2 or 3 story buildings as opposed to a high rise, mid rise or townhouse style. The different qualities of construction can make a difference as to noise level also. Class A construction would mean that there is cement floors between levels. Again typically most garden style building were build of frame construction and would have wood floors between levels, carpeting would help soften the sound. Also that is why the top level units command more in price.

The one thiing to be aware of on any condominium is if they have a healthy reserve and if there are any upcoming capital improvements that will require a special assessment.

Louis Wolfson
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Carpet is your friend in a "garden style" condo. I do think the newer construction is better than the older complexes. If you get a top floor unit then you won't have anything to worry about. If you need a full time Realtor in or around Saugus I would love to help you look.
Greg Tully
617-852-8559
Dear Nadene,

Re garden style condos - this probably has more to do with how common this style complex is in the area where you're looking. Truthfully, it's not a term that I've ever heard used outside of the MLS building-style field. My understanding is that it refers to condo buildings of 2 or 2 stories.

Buildings vary greatly in terms of noise transference. I think that many of the larger, more modern buildings with concrete between the levels tend to be quite good in terms of minimizing noise transference. Wood framed buildings can go either way - in some it seems that your neighbor upstairs is in your home, in others there's minimal sound from your neighbors. David gave good advice about trying to visit the condo at times when the neighbors are home.

Liz Bolton
Some condo associations actually require any floor that has another unit directly below to be carpeted (as opposed to hardwood or tile). This is something to look for when looking at older condo conversions. However I have seen many poorly built newer condo complexes so really it depends on quality of constructiona and sound insulation used between units as well as floor covering allowed (or actually used) in units above. Use a realtor that has a sense of how construction works and different types of building and building materials. Also helps to try to check the unit out you're considering buying multiple times maybe at differnet times of day and try to get there when people upstairs are home!