Property Q&A in Watertown>Question Details

lfw57, Home Owner in Watertown, MA

I have an 96 sq ft porch attached to my 2 BR home. I'm considering converting it to a 4 season room. How can I calc the increase in value?

Asked by lfw57, Watertown, MA Thu May 16, 2013

I've been quoted a price of 6K to renovate. My home is about 1100 sq ft now. Can I use the avg price per sq ft (now about $330) to estimate so it would be approx $31K? Something tells me this is off.

Answers

5
I belive this goes beyond simply a square foot calculation. Additional cosiderations would be where it is located (front, side or rear), will this room still be one of only two exits to the property, first or second floor, overall condition of the entire property, location of the home, etc. I would be happy to take a look at it for you as I am located in Watertown.
I would contact a local real estate professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
As a Real Estate Developer/builder and Broker for over 35 years I agree that your "PSF" values are off, but not necessarily wrong. A room that small may need every sub contractor and building permit; that would add to the PSF cost significantly. If that room were twice as large, its PSF cost would reduce to a much lower number. As an example, I had priced closing in two porches of a two family house that approached and $80,000 cost and a second estimate came in at the exact price. Neither one of us got the job due to economic reasons. It just didn't make financial sense.

Ralph D'Amico
Dee Development@comcast.net
617 721-0698
A full service Real Estate Company in the North East
I would suggest adding that room only if you have a real need for it.
Without knowing much more information, i agree with your thinking that the valuer will not increase dollar for dollar. Would probably make more sense to put that 4k into refinishing floors, painting, etc. i would be happy to meeg with you and provide a market analysis. Thanks