Property Q&A in Atlanta>Question Details

Lahaya, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I am thinking to buy rental properties in Atlanta, but don't know which area is the best for my investment purpose. Thanks.

Asked by Lahaya, Atlanta, GA Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

11
Good Morning Lahaya,

I just completed an article with price to rent ratios in Gwinnett County. Check out the web reference and let me know what you think.
Unless you have a plan in mind and a detailed "mission statement" it doesn't matter where you buy - you'll be in trouble. I'm constantly solicited by "investors" that have no idea of what is involved and just how many things often go wrong.

As I tell them, before even looking at a home you need to have a team of experts that you trust with your financial life - because when things go wrong you will lose money - potentially lots of it. I know, I'm a foreclosure appraiser as well as broker - I see "investor" homes that just roll back to the banks on a regular basis. This is a tough business.

You might find this helpful - http://hounddogrealestate.com/2012/04/19/are-you-an-investor…

Good Luck

Hank
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
Are you sure about Atlanta? I stumbled onto an article about the US residential property market, must be very helpful for you. It contains information on median rental prices in different states and annual gross yield
I think this question is a bit old but I'm also looking for investment properties with rents relatively close if not exceeding the mortgages- price to rent ratios. Can some one recommend areas I should look at, along with property types-SFH, TH, Condos, etc. I will frequent the area 1-3 times a month and I'm looking to buy a home in the area soon.
Hey,

We help investors and homeowners convert conventional rental investment properties to short term rentals with daily revenue. Feel free to contact me at mark@smartspacelive.com and we can talk about good areas for condo, townhouse purchases that would be great to convert into daily revenue for your units. Talk soon,
Mark.
Flag Wed Jan 27, 2016
Good afternoon, please contact me @fergushomes@yahoo.com. I have access to several good investment properties in the Atlanta Ga. area. Thanks
Flag Sat Oct 3, 2015
Hey Contact me @harryw.jsm@gmail.com I can point you in the right direction if you are really looking to invest!
Flag Thu Oct 1, 2015
Hi Lahaya,

I have been a Realtor for years, and also have several investment properties. I recommend looking in Cobb County (Marietta, Kennesaw, etc.) and sticking with good school districts. Even when times are rough in real estate, renters are always looking for good school districts for their children. http://www.schooldiggers.com is a great website which shares school ratings. From a price standpoint, going with a single family home with 3-4 bedrooms/2 baths - that is what investors call a Bread and Butter House... you will always be able to rent it if rent rate is reasonable.

I would be glad to assist you in your investment home search. http://www.susanedwards.net

Susan
Hi Lahaya! im real estate agent and an investor. All my rental properties are located in buckhead.
The greatest areas r Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Vinings, Dunwoody.
A lot of businesses are located there so its easier to rent out the property +
the value goes up pretty fast.
Houses r pricy there but you can find pretty cheap condos with low HOA.
Let me know if I can help you
Dear Lahaya,

As others have noted here, where you want to invest, and what you want to invest in, starts with your goals and your business plan. Good rental income opportunities can be found in every county in metro Atlanta. I suggest you work with a financial planner, a lender, and a Realtor to determine what makes sense for you.
Well, from a financial standpoint, there are bad areas. I believe they are: 30310, 30311, 30314, 30315. We won't lend in these zip codes. If you insist on buying here with cash, the person buying from you will have to put an additional 5% down or pay cash in some cases. Houses in these zips cost $10,000. Kind of tells you what's going on. Hard money (no income/no credit type loans) will not lend there. That tells you that may not be the place to buy and sell in the next 10 years. Renting? Go for it (section 8).
If you want to buy to rent, also look in the Hall and Gwinnett areas. More specifically, Gainesville, Buford, Norcross, Duluth, Snellville, Lilburn, Sugar Hill (not sure which county that is). I've seen rental incomes there for $1000 on a $60k property (still up for grabs). The hispanic community seems to be migrating to Auburn, GA as Gainesville is too expensive. Houses run at 20k as is (45k ARV). I can lend up to 80% using fannie mae. If you go to homepath.com, a 640 score gets you 10% down. If credit is bad, I can go to 70%, single digit rates (no income, no credit), no prepay penalty.
Thank you, Bill for your useful comments. How about the area with zip code of 30349?
Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Lahaya,

My name is Buddy Boone and have been a realtor, real estate investor, and managed real estate for over 35 years in Atlanta as well as other markets. The smartest and safest way to invest in real estate is to deal with true professions that can offer a turnkey approach to investing and managing property using a financial game plan.

Go to this website.: realtybiz.mystrongbrook.com This company offers financial planning for people that want to invest in hot real estate markets including Atlanta, without much of the risk and headaches and do all the "heavy lifting" for you. The best thing going!

If I can help, feel free to call or e-mail me with any questions.

Buddy Boone
770-361-8187
boone2919@bellsouth.net
There are no "BEST" or "WORST" areas, it all boils down to what do you want. Are you buying to "HOLD" for a long time? Or are you buying to sell in a year or two? Are you paying cash or taking out a loan? Do you want Newer homes or Older established homes? It all boils down to "you". And alway, I repeat "always" do your "DUE DILIGENCE". It's your money and as always "ALL" Investments are "RISKS".
I don't think you told me anything at all. Because I don't live in this area, I wanted to get expert's opinion which area(s) is(are) better than the other(s).
Flag Fri Jun 1, 2012
Hello Lahaya
there are so many great areas in Atlanta, great rental market is Gwinnett, Dekalb and some part of the city. people are looking to live closer to their jobs.