Property Q&A in Summerlin>Question Details

Ann Mckoy, Home Buyer in Las Vegas, Las Vegas,...

I am thinking of buying a house in Las Vegas, and I've been looking at a lot of houses here on Trulia, at both ends of the spectrum it seems.

Asked by Ann Mckoy, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV Sat Jan 30, 2010

I've seen very nice homes in the Summerlin area and in the Sunrise Manor section just to name a couple. My question is what is so special about Summerlin that the current homeowners believe their houses appreciated over 1000% in this past 10 yr period, while most in the Sunrise section seemingly only appreciated 100% or less? I am currently living in New Jersey.

Answers

7
Ann,
Summerlin is a very nice master planned community with homes from the low 100k to the multi million dollar ones. The community has tree lined streets and well manicured common areas with several parks. This is appealing to alot of people and values had increased more there than anywhere else. Check out Summerlin.com for more info. There are several other areas that are nice as well but do not have the master plan so common streets are not tree lined and manicured and they have access to city parks within the area.

Sunrise manor has a mixed use of homes and varying times of construction from the 1970's to current day and varying degree of upkeep as well. Summerlin was pretty much from 1993 to current day . The values there did go higher than most of the valley and have fallen less than most.
I would be happy to help you in your search for a new home. I have recently helped two new home owners from the NY , New Jersey area in the last 30 days. I would be happy to provide reference info to show the care I use with my clients.
Dear Ann,

Have you been to Summerlin?
Because I don't think you would be asking that question if you had been there, it has been 'touted' as being the number one master planned community in America.

Here is a link to a you tube video that I did for Coldwell Banker for the Summerlin area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soumEEFftNw

Summerlin has held its values the strongest, but has still been hit hard like the rest of the valley in terms of equity and value.

I specialize in out of state buyers, and would be happy to assist you!
702.401.0307
Hello Ann,

You seem to have quite a few answers so far from your question, and they all have good points. Summerlin is a higher end community, so is Green Valley. Another location of similiar interest is Southern Highlands. But all of these have higher HOA Fees and Master Plan fees. BUT they also have the SID / LID fees, which is usually not mentioned in initial discussions. Another similar interesting area is the Lake Las Vegas area.

If you are interested in purchasing property here in Las Vegas, please feel free to view my website at http://www.JAGNVREALTOR.com.

Also, I would also like to invite you to use our new home search website; it is called the Home Buyers Scouting Report. It is a free, no sales pressure website that condenses all the other RE websites’ information into one friendly place.

1. The Home Buyers Scouting Report ® (HBSR) provides the available listings that match your personal search criteria from area real estate companies.

2. The Report includes pictures, prices, maps, directions and more via a private, password-protected website. It allows you to shop at your convenience, 24 hours a day!

3. Keep track of your favorite properties by saving them in your personal HBSR Notebook and receive notification if a change occurs.

4. Now you can receive a ‘Quick Alert’ when new properties become available! Just think of the valuable time you will save! Never miss a home that’s right for you!

5. You can obtain information about grocery stores, department stores, restaurants, banks, etc in the area surrounding your prospective property.

6. You can obtain information on schools (number of kids, number of teachers, principal's name, school contact info, school website info, test statistics, etc) in the area surrounding your prospective property.

Jason Allen Gardner
NV REALTOR ® & Property Management Permit Holder
THINK GREEN. THINK EXIT.
Exit Realty Imoti
8260 West Charleston Blvd. Suite #1
Las Vegas, NV 89117
(Cell) 702-806-6968 (Fax) 702-966-3732
E-Mail: jagsellslvre@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.jagnvrealtor.com
It all has to do with location, location, location. Summerlin and Green Valley are probably the two most highly desired communities in town. You should check out Green Valley as well if you are looking for a home in an excellent community and a beautiful area.

I would be happy to help if you need some assistance.

Len McGuirk
Direct: (702) 203-6688
eFax: (702) 317-3781
Prudential Americana Group ~ Las Vegas
~Green Valley Office~
"Ranked in the Top 5 Individual Agents at Las Vegas Prudential, the #1 real estate firm in Nevada!"
Ann,

I will give an example, I have a client who owns a 1300 sq ft home in Summerlin. This home was purchased brand new from the builder in June 2000 for $145,713. I just pulled comps on this house and I estimate the true market value of the house today is $150k maximum. That is an increase of 2.9% in the last ten years.

Is the 1300 sq ft home in Summerlin worth more than a 1300 sq ft home in Sunrise Manor, absolutely. This all comes down to supply and demand. The Summerlin area is located in a master planned community and it has wonderful shopping, restaurants, walking paths, gyms, and has easy access for commuters because two freeways intersect the masterplan. People pay more to live in master planned communites because of the amenities, this is true is you compare a house in Sunrise Manor to a house in any of the other master planned areas (Aliante, Green Valley, Mountains Edge, Southern Highlands, etc...)

I think you need to come to town and drive through these areas and see what areas of town you like and which areas you do not like. Many people do not like the strict rules of the associations in the master planned communites and prefer to live somewhere without a homeowners association.

It all comes down to what is important to you and what areas of town are convenient, affordable and have the right feel to you.

Let me know if I can be of any help with your search; I am a Las Vegas resident since 1974 so I am quite famaliar with all areas in the valley.

Ron Johnson
Elite Realty
702-595-9743
Summerlin is a Community that has all your needs, Shopping,Schools,ect, it sits on the West side of the Valley up from the City, it has alot of Higher end homes as well as moderate one's, Gated Communities, All the appreciation that your talking about has finally come done to reality, these past few years have brought the Value's back to a reasonable amount, Summerlin is a fairly new development while Sunrise is older, they do have new homes out there but again it is an older Development, If you would like to see current prices please visit my Web Site @ http://www.kevincotton.com , it is a free search tool for you to use at any time, Feel free to contact me or any Realtor in Las Vegas if you have any question at all. Thank you Kevin Cotton / Realty One Group / 702-525-0101
Web Reference: http://www.kevincotton.com
Hi Ann, my name is Jamelah and I am a REALTOR with Exit Realty. I would love to help you find a home. My email is jamelahsellshomes@cox.net and my cell number is 702-672-6960. I actually live in the Summerlin area. If you go to http://www.summerlin.com, it will provide you will great information about Summerlin.

Jamelah Jackson-Alam
REALTOR
Exit Realty Imoti
702-672-6960
http://www.jamelah.exitrealtynevada.com

PS: What part of New Jersey are you from? I was born in NJ