Property Q&A in New Milford>Question Details

Matt Blank, Home Buyer in 10546

I am interested in this house. It is for sale by owner. Should I use a Real Estate broker to represent me?

Asked by Matt Blank, 10546 Fri May 15, 2009

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1079239864-1-Candace-Dr-LOT-3…

Answers

6
Not really sure how to use this Trulia site. No I'm not from Cheshire, I live in Westchester County, NY
Hi Matt-Are you from Cheshire?
Matt -

This home is quite nice. It's been on the market for quite some time, and has been reduced from over $1,000,000.
It is the only home built in the subdivision - there are 10 more lots. So, there will be construction going on for quite some time.

Absolutely use a real estate broker. Have someone to protect your interests, whether you buy this or any other home.
You should absolutely use a real estate agent to protect your interest. Keep in mind that the builder of this property will be looking at his bottom line and will not have your interest in mind. I have worked and lived in New Milford for over 13 years. I am very familiar with all current real estate and events in the Town of New Milford. I have also worked in the real estate legal field for over 22 years and am available to help you with this property or any other properties you may be interested in. You can visit my website to view information about the Town of New Milford. You can reach me by my cell phone at 914-384-7463 with any further questions.
Dear Matt -

Just spoke directly with the builder. They will be adding the one home that has been completed to the Connecticut Multiple Listing Service. Having a Realtor and his or her expertise work for you is always highly recommended!

The builder did say that this home has been drastically reduced in price - now listed for $749,000. This high end home offers triple crown molding, selective hardwood flooring, beautiful granite, a kitchen and views to die for! All this on approximately 2 acres and New Milford's low taxes.

This is currently the only home built of the proposed 11 - someone can either use the plans being offered - or bring your own!

The town of New Milford has much to offer. The historic part has pubs and shops and everyone's shopping needs are met on Route 7/Federal Road with all the larger chain stores and restaurants. There is a new outdoor mall going up along with the extension of Super 7 and the widening of Route 7/Federal Road.
For outdoor activity, there is the Housatonic Valley and Candlewood Lake - the largest lake in New England picking up 5 towns and having over 60 miles of shoreline.

If interested in reading an article written a few years back in the New York Times on how "New Milford was an up and coming town", please let me know and I will forward a copy to you.

Get to know me a bit by visiting my Real Estate Blog - http://www.DianasNeighborhood.com

Thanks for your question -

Diana Santos - Licensed in NY & CT
Century 21 VJF Realty - Brewster, NY
cell: 203-648-2619
E-Mail: Diana.Santos@Century21.com
Matt,
In a word, ABSOLUTELY.
If the seller chooses not to have a realtor represent him, that is fine and that is his decision. However, you do not need to let that dictate whether or not you hire an experienced, qualified real estate agent to represent you. Two completely separate issues.

Here are a few of the benefits of buyer representation for you (not for the seller, just for you):
1) Objectively inform you about the positive and negative aspects of the property and how those might affect the value (the seller is not objective), as well as show you other comparable homes. You need to comparison shop to know you are getting a fair price, and it's your realtor's job to provide you with an opinion of value of any home may be serious about buying, whereas the seller is focused on his asking price. Also, objectively help you understand the pluses and minuses of any home for your particular situation.
2) Negotiate on your behalf (there are standards and customs in terms of who pays for what - you may be aware of these, or you may not)
3) Provide resources support and advice as necessary for the process of buying a home: Mortgages, Insurance, Service Providers, Movers, Neighborhood Info, School Information, etc.
4) Generally protect your interest throughout the transaction and guide you through the whole process so that you understand what is expected and make things are handled in a manner that is fair to all parties.

See buyer resources on my website below.