Property Q&A in 90049>Question Details

Maggie Kenne…, Home Buyer in Santa Monica, CA

I am about to be a licensed real estate agent and I am searching for a brokerage. Does anyone have advice on which brokerage to go with?

Asked by Maggie Kennedy, Santa Monica, CA Fri Nov 30, 2012

preferably near my home in Santa Monica

Answers

17
I respectfully disagree that a larger firm is by default the best way to go. In a smaller firm you are often more likely to get the training and attention you need to have the skill and experience necessary to thrive in this business.

In my company we only hire candidates who show promise and who we feel are worthy of the time and attention necessary to become successful. We bring each one along little by little so they don't stumble along the way.

In the end, your network of people is what is likely to get you started, and I do agree that you shouldn't quit your day job till you know you are on solid ground.
Hi Maggie,

I really like John's "It's all about vibes." comment because it changes the dynamic/focus of your search from what we believe is best for you as opposed to you knowing what you want from any Brokerage.

Ask yourself these two questions:

Is Real Estate a business OR profession?

Do I personally feel I would get more satisfaction from receiving a commission check OR handing over front door keys to a first time Buyer?

Now, use your answers to find and INTERVIEW each brokerage for a good fit. Below is the link to your local (Santa Monica) Realtor MLS Association:
http://www.bhglaar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view…

Stay true to yourself and you will be successful.

Happy Hunting! –Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Maggie
I work and live in Santa Monica, and I am with Keller Williams on 2701 Ocean Park Blvd in Santa Monica. I love my office and they are very friendly and give us so much support.
We have a great meeting this coming Monday and if you can come by at 12, I can show you around and you can also talk to the manager and ask questions.
Let me know if you planning to be there.
The best number to call me is 3109226974. I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Regards
Roya Kianmahd
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 30, 2012
Hi Roya. I would love to come to the meeting. I will contact you directly by phone. Thank you!
Flag Fri Nov 30, 2012
Keller Williams Realty Westside is your best choice. Our team leader Wendy Davis is the best. Email me your contact info so we can schedule for you to come see the office.

Lena Samigoullina
Lenasrealtor@yahoo.com
Direct: 310.625.9005
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 30, 2012
In my opinion, the larger, brand name brokerages are best. They have the name, training, the tools, and legal departments that you'll need. Congratulations on getting your license, but that's the easy step. Getting the business in the hard part. I would recommend that you keep the day job, until things work out for you. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 30, 2012
RODEO RODEO RODEO!!! 11 offices, over 1,000 agents. They also offer training classes, and the support in my office (Studio City) is wonderful. Best of luck in the industry.
Hi Maggie.

Do not hesitate to move onto another brokerage when you see they are failing you, this is your business: o u r t i m e and t i m e i s m o n e y. I say this because this is not a cheap career and you will not be bleeding money but hemorrhaging money because of the things you have to pay. Good luck in your career.
Wow! Lots of great answers. i just wish you were interested in relocating to San Diego. I swoop you up in a heart beat. We have lots of very exciting things happening down here. Small development projects, a Private Club co ownership resort on the water in Encinitas, acquisitions, investments, etc.

However, you're in Santa Monica which is a very nice place to start a RE career. You have a lot a very good answers and everyone has had some very astute information to share with you. But the real deal is in your court. Take your time, interview several brokers both large and small.Both can offer up some great educational and leadership programs. It just depends on who really gives you the best warm fuzzes.

At 67 years old and having been buying, selling, developing, managing and investing in good ole California dirt for almost a half a century I have to go with vibes. It's all about vibes. No chemistry no go. The worse thing you can do is get caught up with a brokerage that's a big dud for your libido.

You may even want to take a Tony Robbins course concurrent to interviewing with myriad brokers before you actually make a commitment. He will expand your capillaries and warm your blood and through that learning curve you will be lead to a great choice. Just a thought if you have the means and the gumption.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
I would suggest a smaller Brokerage at first. They will probably give you better education, attention and training. Try Dilbeck, they are a good group.
I would not make a quick decision.. I would interview at least 5 different brokers in different size offices and get a hold for what suits you.

It has to be a match with what your ambition ad level of risk tolerance is and what support and encouragement you will get from your broker and their team. Make sure you get a chance to write offers, be present in negotiations, learn about title, escrow, lending, etc... the more you know, the more perspective and value you will be able to offer to your clients and ultimately make money!

Is not about filling out the winforms or contracts.. is about all kinds of things that you will learn only if you get to work on deals... working as a TC may not be a bad thing for a while...

Best of luck and do your homework with the interview.... you are interviewing them!

RonE
Prudential California Realty in Santa Monica is a great office...the company offers training, mentoring, marketing help, they have a great marketing department...and we will be changing our name to Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices early next year...owned by Warren Buffett! That in it's self it a huge perk!

I love love love our manager too!

Give me a call if you want more information.

Kat
(323) 819-4760
I would start off with Keller Williams for training but when you get more experienced I would look into ReMax. I personally would not hire a TC. If you have somebody doing your paper work you are less likely to learn in detail.
I know my files and the contracts by the back of hand and its the best thing when talking to clients and going over contracts with them.
Good Luck.
Hi Maggie, I'd love to talk with you about my brokerage. They are fantastic! call me 310-415-7433. Super great for new agents and supportive.
For a new agent you really need suport and training. I was able to get great training from Prudential California Realty, The Mulhern Group when I first started. To be honest, I have not seen as well run a training program as what they offer. It's not close to you though, it's in Bellflower but they have local offices.
It's also helpful if you have mentorship from an experienced Realtor for the first couple of years as well.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely look into Keller Williams in Santa Monica and some smaller firms as well.
Look for Companies that will help you grow your business, not just charge you fees and take royalties. Make sure you get a good TC as well. You're just starting out, you will need help with the paperwork until you get the hang of it. I can recommend the best place in the valley if you don't mind being a mobile agent. Call me to discuss. (818) 967-9626
Hi Maggie, I've been in the business over 20 years and have worked with different types of companies. You can call me if you'd like and I'll be glad to chat about it.

Diane McDonald