Property Q&A in Windham>Question Details

Jon Grover,  in Auburn, ME

I am a under contract on a home in Maine and my Radon tests came back at 97.4. Should I walk away from the home or ask for a major reduction in price?

Asked by Jon Grover, Auburn, ME Sun Oct 9, 2011

The home I am trying to purchase had a radon air test of 97.4 and 3 days later tested at 98.2 Should I still consider buying the home and if so will it hurt a resale down the road? I understand it can be mitigated. These numbers are scary. thanks Jon from Maine

Answers

3
Please Keep RADIATION DATA in Skillman NJ in mind for ALL Radon Testing/Remediation , Basement Waterproofing & Mold Testing/Remediation. 1-888-Radon-Gas .
Radon can be mitigated. Radon Removers is a good company that specializes in mitigation. It is actually a pretty simple process. The put a whole in the foundation to funnel the radon up into a PVC pipe that goes out of the attic. Then they put a fan in the pipe to draw the radon up and out, thereby lowering the concentration in the home. Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Hi Jon! I would suggest asking for mitigation - you can usually get a system installed for around $1200. I have run into this issue before with both buyers and sellers and have had either the seller pay for the system or at least split the cost with the buyer. Those numbers ARE scary! Are you sure that the windows and doors were closed during the test? As odd as it sounds, I have been told that having a window or door open can actually raise the radon number. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 9, 2011