Property Q&A in Greenville>Question Details

Kapressley, Home Buyer in Greenville, SC

I UNDERSTAND I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FIND OUT WHO PURCHASED THE PROPERTY, BUT I THINK I'M A VICTIM OF A POSSIBLE SCAM. THIS HOUSE WAS RECENTLY

Asked by Kapressley, Greenville, SC Fri Aug 12, 2011

ADVERTISED FOR RENT ON CRAIGSLIST. A NIGERIAN MAN FROM BENIN IS TRYING TO RENT IT OUT AND ASKING FOR MONEY TO BE SENT VIA WESTERN UNION BEFORE VIEWING PROPERTY. VERY SUSPICIOUS. I WAS REALLY INTERESTED IN THIS. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN FIND OUT WHO THE OWNER IS?

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/South_Carolina/Greenville/sold/1…

Answers

4
Nothing against the great people of Nigeria, but it is a haven for internet scam artists duping people out of money selling luxury cars on the cheap, overseas homes they don't own, etc.

Any mention of Western Union or Nigeria or United Kingdom or other foreign lands in a local internet ad is a sure sign it's a scam and you should run for the hills.

Deal locally and always go with your gut if you feel the least bit uneasy about a transaction online - especially on Craigslist where people have ended up dead for not following this advice.
Our company has had the reverse situation of a "tenant" trying to rent a property from Craigslist.
It's just a scam and you would probably find out that the house is listed for sale and that the information was taken from the internet and posted by a bogus party.
Good luck on finding a rental in the Greater Greenville area! We are called constantly wanting to know if our houses for sale will rent. Our rentals are filling up fast.
Hope this helps.
It's a scam - these are prevalent, and I gues some folks are easy prey.

The owner is probably a seller - most of these scams are based on pulling active listing photos, then creating a fake rental listing from there on Craig's or postlets, etc.

Trulia picks up on the "posting" because they aggregate data from many sources, and you are my second experience with this scam, this week...in Atlanta, a 31st floor penthouse listed for $1.75 M was posted as an $1800 rental.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...my Greenville Daddy taught me that!
Yes, Contact the local tax office. It is public record who owns the property & they can tell you you owns it. As far as the suspected scam on Craigs List let the current homeowner know as soon as you make contact as there has been plenty of incidents like this that happen everyday. It is sad that people prey on others. Good luck. Have a great weekend.

Cordially,
Christine House