Property Q&A in Dumont>Question Details

TARA143, Home Buyer in Dumont, NJ

IS THIS IN A FLOOD ZONE? WHY IS IT A DAMP BASEMENT?

Asked by TARA143, Dumont, NJ Mon Aug 12, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/New_Jersey/Dumont/sold/46328-14-…

Answers

3
Basement seemed fine to me when I looked. This house is a great buy. Wish it were my listing!
according to the Realist data. This is not a flood area. As Brian said it is most likely due to poor drainage. Most basements are damp if the exterior is not maintained or like Brian said it could be a high water table which would mean it needs french drains.

This is a bank owned property and will be sold as is.
My Partner Greg and I specialize in foreclosed homes. Let me know if you would like to make an offer or would like to see other foreclosed homes..
Hello Tara,

The property is not in a flood zone.

There are many possible reasons for the damp basement. In this case, the most likely cause is poor drainage around the house. If the rainwater from the roof just collects next to the foundation, the basement will become damp. This problem is usually rectified with some rainwater diverters (about $12 each at Home Depot). If parts of the property are sloped toward the house, then the basement can be damp because run-off water will run toward the house and sit next to the foundation. Another possible cause is a high water table. If a high water table is the problem, the basement would likely get water seeping up through the foundation during heavy or extended periods of rain in addition to general dampness. The high water table problem is usually remedied with a sump pump.

The basement may be damp for other reasons, but the ones I outlined above are the most common causes.

If I can be of further assistance, give me a call.

Brian Diehl
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-521-1061