Property Q&A in Stamford>Question Details

Jj, Home Buyer in Greenwich, CT

How to deal with neigbor's expanding which invaded my house privacy?

Asked by Jj, Greenwich, CT Tue Sep 11, 2012

we have some concerns about our neigbours expanding: My house is in one acre zone. once it was very good in terms of privacy. Now, one of my neighor expanding his small house into a big one. Before his expanding, only one our my window from bathroom can see his house, now, his new house has big windows which can see my house from two bed romms and my family room and living room , my backyard balcony. I really feel my privacy has been invaded a lot and it also may devalued my house.I checked the city hall, his house is extanded to the wetland of his territory, and the city hall gave him approval of his house expanding to wetland. Is anything we can do? your advice is highly appreciated.

Help the community by answering this question:


Typically not much can be done about removing what has been built. There are some items that should be explored such as zoning approvals and permits. Sometimes zoning approvals are not 100 percent correct or not adhered to. You should check if all notifications were sent out by applicant or reprehensive to comply with current town standards. Most towns require letters and notification newspaper or signage to notify public for the zoning process. In addition there are some instances during construction the conditions of the zoning were not adhered to during the construction process. Changes may have been made or the finished elevation is not correct and so on.
You can try to make an argument and attach a dollar figure to the current condition. We have had some instances where the building department required the owners to install a fence do landscaping...
Find us

Like us friend us on face book

See us
Find us

Like us friend us on face book

See us
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2013
Hello Jj,
I highly doubt that the town would grant permission for your neighbor's house to expand into the wetland area. The EPB certainly does not allow it. You can check the records at the Building Dept. at Town Hall yourself to verify.

I suggest that you plant some tall trees to possibly gain back some of your privacy. Or perhaps, you may wish to discuss your privacy issue with your neighbor as they may be willing to do something about it.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer