Property Q&A in 11566>Question Details

wife1389, Home Owner in Freeport, NY

How to add my wife to the house deed?

Asked by wife1389, Freeport, NY Sun Apr 7, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


My understanding is that you need to file a form called a quitclaim deed which legally overrides the deed that you now have in effect. You can add your wife's name at that time and have it properly notarized. Then the form needs to be filed with the Town of Hempstead and you'll have to pay some sort of recording fee. I believe forms can be bought anywhere like in Staples, for example.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
You should really consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; or you can try doing it on your own by contacting the Nassau County Clerks office for necessary information; see link
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
Any lawyer can do the paper work to add your wife to the deed, preferably a lawyer who specializes in real estate law. This requires some paper work to be filled out and those papers have to be filed at your local clerks office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer