Property Q&A in 07731>Question Details

Judy, Home Owner in 07731

How much does a pool add to the value of a home assessment in Howell Twp, NJ?

Asked by Judy, 07731 Tue Jun 28, 2011

Answers

6
This is a 50-50 question. As a pool person, to me the pool adds 10k onto the value of the home.. of course depending upon the pool that is installed. An Inground pool will have a bigger impact to people looking for a pool and an above ground pool may was well be an inflatable.

Home buyers that see a pool as just a nice additive, but a headache will not pay more for a house with a pool. It is hit or miss with no definate answer.

The pool should be looked at for your enjoyment, not as an investment item.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
boittom line about the pool, it is that different buyer pools see it differently. But again, I agree with the previous posters, in today's market, its not exactly a plus.
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Judy,

I agree with what many of the previous posters. You also have to consider the age of the pool, the conditon of the linter, if it has a heating system. etc. Most people wiill put a 24K value on a new, unusued pool, but that is rarely the case.

Id also have toi ask is it above goiund or in ground.

As the previous p;osters stated, the value of a pool depend upon the buyer's needs and wants. While one buyer may see it as a plus, another seees it as a minus, expecaiily those with children under the age of 5 as it cosnidered a rsik rather than a benefit.

Frankly, depending pon the neighbohood and the likekind properties, the value of a pool may vary and without seeing your property is is hard to access. I have Hoiwell buyer who bould die for a pool and other that have noi desire.

Sineerely,
Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associates, ePro, SRES
732.606.2931 (direct/24/7)
Francesca@patrizioRE.com
Hi, Judy. An appraiser will give the homeowner maybe only 7-10% of what the pool actually costs. I know it's not much, but as stated, square footage is what adds to the value of your home instead. Now, will a buyer pay more for a home that has an inground pool vs. one that doesn't? The answer is: Sometimes, not always. It depends on what the buyer is looking for. Some buyers definately do not want a pool, so it might work the other way and hinder your sale. As far as the Tax Assessor goes, I would direct your question to the actual tax assessors office (732) 938-4500 and just follow the prompts. Hope this helps!
Judy, It all depends on how much money you put into the pool inground, but it really doesn't bring the property value up if your looking to sell. they only look at living space.
Good Morning Judy,

Unfortunately a pool does not add value. It only adds value to those that really want a pool. It can be more of a liability. Most appraisers will maybe give $5000 to value of a pool.

Have a great day :)
Randi Dickman
Broker Associate
Woodward Realty Group
732-693-6182
randidickman@comcast.net