Property Q&A in Oakland>Question Details

xzheng9, Home Owner in Oakland, CA

How much do I pay for tenant's food when refrigerator cooler broke down and replaced within 2 days?

Asked by xzheng9, Oakland, CA Wed Jan 2, 2013

I am helping my sister manage a rental unit in west Oakland, CA. A few month ago, the newer double door stainless steel refrigerator cooler broke, we had it replaced within two days. The tenant's demands we pay more than $600 in food and plus him and friend eating out that weekend. How much is the reasonable amount should we pay for two days food? I asked him to mail me the receipts, he hasn't yet to do so. Is there anywhere rules I could look up for situation like this?

Answers

7
I would send him something is writing that you will pay him once he furnishes you receipts. I see no reason why you have to pay for the "friend". Sounds like someone is trying to take advantage of you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
IF the landlord is truly at fault... then I think it really depends on what was in the refrigerator. Could've had some nice caviar in there along with a bunch of black truffles, sashimi grade tuna, etc.
$600 is too much - I have a family of 5 and I can go grocery shopping for $300 for the whole month.

$150 for 2 days is more than reasaonable. I would offer him that and nothing more.

$75 a day for $25 per meal. reason I came up with $150. avg. per diem for Bay Area.
Thanks so much! Ladies...
I agree with Pacita. $200 sounds like a reasonable amount. I would make sure you keep documentation that the money was given to the tenant and the reason why.
Any email correspondence, phone calls- dates, what was discussed etc..

Good Luck
$600 sounds unreasonable. I would have given them $100

Here are some resources you can use

http://www.personalfinanceanalyst.com/the-average-cost-of-gr…
which says "So, what is the average cost of groceries per person, according to 1Food Spendng by American Households…1? $1,347.oo, or $112.25 per month."

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2012/CostofF…
Interesting question, I am intrigued to know the answer as well.

:::Breaks out the popcorn:::

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195