Property Q&A in Los Angeles>Question Details

Vicky, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

How do i verify ownership?

Asked by Vicky, Los Angeles, CA Tue Jan 18, 2011

Our main concern is that my boss doesnt want to get scammed out of 2200.00$ and we will not get the keys to the property and all documents until we send a payment to them via western union. dDo I contact the city office of bev hls to gety this information and is there something else I can do to protect my boss and his finances? v nelson

Answers

8
Yes, agree with agents answers below. This is only one of the benefits getting a professional agents can help you, there are many others that most clients don't think about or even know about until it is too late. Some clients believe they can save themselves money but in most cases, they end up paying more financially, emotionally and physically.
I feel like we are getting the question of renters trying to make sure they are not being scammed on Craigslist and other sites more and more frequently.

As I have noted in the past, one of my own listings was being advertised by scammers on said website.

1. Best thing to do is work with a real estate professional to have them protect your best interests and sift through the garbage.

2. Since 90% of leases are not listed with Realtors it is likely you will have to do your own homework. Having a realtor pull public record is the easiest way. I often do this as favors to clients for commitment to future business and referrals. THIS IS THE MOST LIKELY OPTION

3. Like Grandma always said (and I think an Econ or Finance professor or two), "IF IT SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT USUALLY IS."

Ryan Ole Hass
The Red Door Group L.A.
Keller Williams Realty Larchmont
323.762.2575
DRE# 01417826
Hi Vicky,
I agree with all the agents below and suggest you do the following :
1. Work with an agent that will qualify the deal and confirm property status.
2. Don't proceed with this deal until you have representation.
3. Call either myself or another qualified agent asap
Web Reference: http://TopRealtyTeamLA.com
My first recommendation is you should work with a Realtor, they help protect there clients and check title to make sure the person you are doing a lease with is in fact the actual owner, as well as the property is not currently in pre-foreclosure or notice of default status. Secondly, I highly recommend running away from this, not walking, running-too many times have there been scams where someone that doesn't even own the property attempts to defraud renters and rent it out, and they almost always require western union payment or cash.

Thirdly, go with your gutt instinct, it is usually right!
Vicky,

Not sure who "them" is. Normally a purchase is done through a title company and they will deliver a preliminary title report that shows who the legal owner(s) is. This sounds odd to me - is there a realtor involved?
This sounds really fishy. I'm one of the most active leasing agents in town and have never used western union. Cashiers check and/or wire transfer is normal.

Please call me immediately and I can clear this up for you. I would advise to not proceed at this point until you consult with myself or another qualified realtor.

Jeffrey White
323-251-2296
A realtor, such as myself, can check title for you. Sending money via Western Union is uncommon. Have they given you a verifiable reason why they are using that method. Is there a realtor involved on either side - either the Landlord's or yours? If not be sure you have some means of verifying their authenticity such as a formal (non-mailbox) address or office phone.

Proceed with extreme caution especially if the price is especially good.

Janey Bishop
(818)570-2707
This is completely unclear.

Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) 818.564.6591
http://www.thebremnergroup.com/news/