Property Q&A in Elk River>Question Details

Todd, Home Buyer in Coon Rapids, MN

How do I find out the real owner so I can make an offer if the home is for sale?

Asked by Todd, Coon Rapids, MN Mon Feb 23, 2009

Bank of America is listed on property records as the most recent. Bank of America has no idea if they own this property. It has been vacant for sometime (builder fraud development). What would be my next step?

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1061840306-19412-Queen-Cir-Nw…

Answers

4
Clearly, Bank of America is behind on their processing (no big surprises there). The kind of research and service you are requesting here is the kind of thing that real estate agents do. So, your next step would be to contract with a REALTOR to dig and find out the information you require to submit an offer. Many banks (not all, but many) who have become owners of properties will not even entertain offers that are not submitted by a buyer who is represented by a real estate agent.

I suggest you do a little research to see who you might feel comfortable with in this venture. Good luck!
Todd,
Do you know this area? ?? Have you drove to it or seen the property?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 24, 2009
Todd,
Here are a few ways to check:
1.) Head down to your county courthouse that the property is in and ask for help on the last deed record date. It will have the owner information. You also might be able to pull your land records online. Try searching in google "Your County GIS". The GIS system is pretty standard terminology for land records
2.) You can send a letter first class to that address and if returned to you then it might have a forwarding address.
3.) ask the neighbors on each side whom the owners are
4.) if you have the owners name but no mailing address, search google for a skip trace company that can do one for about $10 and they'll tell you where the owner last hooked utilities up and you can get in contact with them.
Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 23, 2009
I just wanted to point out the fact that it is really close the railroad. That is a heavily traveled line and will be even more so when the North Star Commuter rail starts this November. I live, work and know the area pretty well.