Property Q&A in 30062>Question Details

Bloocheese, Other/Just Looking in 30062

How close can I put a fence to my property line? I heard you should install it 6 inches in from the property line. Any advice? I'm in East

Asked by Bloocheese, 30062 Wed Aug 4, 2010

Cobb, GA

Answers

5
Get a survey and it's a good idea to stay a smidge inside the property line. If there's an adjacent fence, might be best for all to ask if you can tie into it, that would avoid the dead space between fences. It also however opens up possible issues with structures encroaching so chat with your neighbors and thoroughly research the options available.

Hank
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 6, 2010
If I recall correctly from my pre-license training, Bloo, any distance from the property line inward is your call, unless your neighborhood covenants or city/county regulations mandate something differently. Should you choose to put it inside the line, you may consider granting your neighbor(s) an easement to use the area between the fence and your property line, since over time-if certain conditions are met-this area could be deemed theirs. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 6, 2010
Six to twelve inches inside the property boundary. Make sure you call to get under ground utilities marked and flagged before the augers start to dig for the fence posts. Also check your HOA covenant for type and style of fence permitted as well as to file for your permit to have such a structure built.
Do you live in a subdivision with an HOA. You may want to ask for advice from your Architectural Review Committee. The Covenants and Design Standards for the neighborhood will address fences and their installation.
Web Reference: http://MikePennington.net
That's not a real estate question. Check with your local building department. You will need a permit and a survey. When you go apply for the permit, ask that dept. the answer to that question for best advice.