Property Q&A in East Taunton>Question Details

Tara, Home Buyer in Taunton, MA

How can a Failed Title V be the buyer responsibility?

Asked by Tara, Taunton, MA Thu Jul 9, 2009

374 S. Precinct in East Taunton is being sold as is w/ the failed title V buyer responsibility. How much does a repair like this cost?

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:



It has become customary for sellers to be responsible for Title V for a simple reason; most banks won't lend on a property with a failed system. So when we see "buyer responsibility" what it really means is "hard to borrow money against". As you can imagine, that significantly reduces the number of people who can purchase the property, so I often find that these properties sell for 30-50K below market. Most people who purchase have done a septic replacement before, and understand the in and outs, and that's a good thing - the process, while not overly complicated, is confusing to newbies, and is time consuming, expensive, and often involves a great deal of red tape.

Matt Heisler is a real-estate professional and owner of Heisler & Mattson Properties. He has been selling residential real-estate for over 10 years. He has given several talks on real estate, including presentations on first-time buyer tips & tricks, and profiting in real estate investing in Massachusetts. As a Vanderbilt University alumnus, he is proud to serve the communities of Natick, Framingham, Medfield, Millis, Holliston, Hopkinton, Southborough, Westborough, Northborough, Grafton, Marlborough, Shrewsbury, Worcester, Milford, Charlton, Northbridge, Sutton, Hudson, Sudbury, , Clinton, Boylston, and West Boylston. His company website can be found at, and his Metrowest Blog can be read at
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 5, 2010
Hi Tara - there is no law that says who is responsible for title 5, however it has been more customary that the seller handles it. In this market, many sellers and banks are pushing it off on the buyer.

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 10, 2009
You would have to consult a licenced Title V engineer/company. You'll also have to find out why it failed, the local board of health & engineering departments may have more details. Prices can vary widely. From $1,000 to over $30,000. Alot depends on the current system, it's condition, it's compliance to current standards and the topography & geology of the area.

Hope that helps,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 9, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer